• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

eastert

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40gallon tank that I'm forced to do a daily water top off do to high evaporation.
I have been looking for a water top off system that is dependable and accurate. unfortunately I don't know what would be dependable. I don't have a sump so the water will have to go directly to the tank.

I would even do a DIY one but I have yet to see one I like. any info at all would be helpful
I would appriciate any information.

damsel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have to add about a gallon a day to a 125. use bottled water into sump. i don't see whay you could't do the same directly into the tank. i used to have a 65 and added right to tank. no problems and had it running quite awhile. please correct me if i'm wrong.
damsel

sillingw

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use the kent doser system (just a 5 gallon conatiner with an IV drip feed) that was accurate. reliable and easy to use. That's the cheap option (around 25 bucks) then I wanted to drip kalk only at night with my top off water and went to a dosing pump - very reliable, very accurate, very easy also very expensive (around 200 bucks) so it depends on what you want, how much space you have (the kent doser is just a gravity feed and must be above the tank, whereas the dosing pump will pump from below the tank and can be mostly out of sight) and what you want. Both ways will add the top off water slowly which is a good thing for maintaining stability.

eastert

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the present thats what I am doing and I will continue if in the best interest of the tank. I guess I realy just want to know peoples thoughts on water top of systems are.

Bobzarry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using my reed float. I also dont have a sump......and the float only allows the water to drop by 1/4". I keep a 5 gal bucket under the stand with a small pump pluged into the float relay. I also use this to dose my Kalwasser.

I first set it up when I was going away on vacation for over a week, but it's so convinient to fill just once a week that I kept using it.

Bob

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: