Jason Day

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was working on my tank the other day took the power compact bulbs off to clean. Wasn't thinking plugged in my icecap ballast and heard a popping sound, yes I blew up my icecap.
icon_sad.gif

I don't remember the instructions saying not to run the ballast without a load, maybe it does. But just a reminder to be carefull when using the ballast to put the lamps on it.

Jason

A lesson that just cost me $62.50
icon_razz.gif

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man, if I replace my icecap ballast 430, it would cost me $160 or so. Which I may end up doing, depending on if my lights falling into the water killed the lights or the ballast. I guess as long as the corals and fish are healthy, I should be not too irritable, just learn to do everything myself in the future(instead of letting a guy do it for me).

Jason Day

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quillion,

Basically IceCap has a flat rate repair service for the 430 of $62.50. Even if you drop it in the water, or blow a fuse.

There service is excellent, just wished they emphasized the posssible damage that can be done if you don't have a load on.

Jason

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. I didn't even see what they recommended with it. My ex sig other of 2 1/2 years took it striaght from my hands upon arrival
icon_smile.gif
, maybe he knows me too well. Quillen + Eletricity = bad idea? I didn't know about the service thing, how nice! I will remember that and not do that. I do need an extended, so I can bolt it on the inside of my cabinet (less likely to get wet that way) :P .

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: