Toadally1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to move and I've got to tear down the tank. I have a medium size dersa clam that has secured it's foot to the glass on the bottom of the tank. How can I dislodge the clam without doing harm? Thanks!

toptank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I also would like to see the answer to that questions. I know if you tear the footing off the clam will die.

Barry

purple_tang2001

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told a year ago or so that if you grab the clam with your finger's on either side, you can gently move it back and forth, Never tried it though

MattM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to tear it or just pull, that can cause damage to the byssal gland.

Cut the byssal threads as close as possible to the point of attachment. This part is no longer living tissue - much like hair on us. Try to do this without putting to much tension on the threads since that can tear the gland.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rock the clam gently (to cue it to withdraw it's foot) and mildly tilt it on it's side (no more then 30 degrees) and take a fresh razor to it. Carefully scrape against the glass to cut the threads. I must emphasis that you do this slowly, with the blade always pointed against the bottom glass.

troyrb

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awhile back my clam attached its foot to a rock. It was turned so I couldn't see the foot and I didn't know what was holding it there so a tried to move it slightly and it tore the foot. This was well over five months ago and the clam is still doing fine today. But I wouldn't recommend doing this. It was a accident when I did it.

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leonard's got the best advice--see if you can get a razor blade under it and scrape the glass to remove the attachment.

Daniel Knop in "Giant Clams" says that if the byssal gland is hanging out and getting in the way, you can touch it with a blunt object and the clam will retract it, giving you more room. You should only tilt the clam as much as absolutely necessary to get to the byssal threads. The main thing is to work slowly and deliberately. Good luck!

Litoria

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a common occurance for us. Everyone is right about using a razor blade. First, get yourself a new, clean sharp blade. The key to removing the clam is not to pull "up" on it. If you do, you risk tearing out the byssal gland and worse, all the inner organs. Get as close to the glass ( or in most cases rock) and make a clean even cut. Of the hundreds of times I have had to do this, I have never lost a clam to the razor. Hope that helps.

Toadally1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies!
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: