patm

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've setup my first marine aquarium. It's a 37 gallon and currently has 35lbs Fiji live rock(with some MAJOR growth), 30lbs live sand, sl-5 wet/dry(with skimmer), and one powerhead. The tank has been cycling for about 3 and a half weeks with a percula clown and an occelaris clown. I wanted to eventually add a clarkii clown and a pearly jawfish(after the tank is cycled of course) along with a couple shrimps, a couple mushroom corals, and a pearl coral. I wanted to know if this was overstocking the tank? Although my tank seems sooo huge with only two clowns now, I know marine fish need much more room than my freshwater and brackish ones do. I'd appreciate everyone's opinion. Thanks
icon_wink.gif

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your step into the marine world. Three kinds of clowns in a 37 gallon, that is pretty risky setup, ie very possibly a stocking problem in itself. Maybe you already know this, but clowns are territorial & get more aggressive as they get older. They don't like hands in their tank at times, another clown is worse
icon_smile.gif
. I wouldn't recommend mixing two kinds of clowns unless it was a tank over 100 g. It may may work out fine (and does for some for a while), but it is likely to be war later on.

Are you using water from someone else's tank/another tank of your own? You might want to slow down. I add fish at a rate of every month or so, it is essential to let the biological capasity of the filter to keep up. I let my tank set up for a good long time (over a month) using water from another tank, would wait longer otherwise. It would be good to read about the nitrogen cycle of the tank, etc at this point.

I'd recommend waiting a bit to see how two fish go, patience is the biggest key to this hobby. I kept one fish (after cycling) alone for a while & Fred is still in my tank years later. The key to a happy fish tank is to have non-stressed fish. If you keep them happy and give them everything they need, life is good. Feel free to email me or private msg me, if you need something particular, I can offer some good reading materials if you have questions on certain things.

Oh, make sure that you have a test kit, something to test salinity, etc etc.

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Quillen ]

patm

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quillen, I agree with you on just about everything! I've read three entire books on marine aquariums, and I do know about the nitrogen cycle, and don't worry, i'm not adding anything soon, I was just making sure I wouldn't be overstocking if I eventually had these things in my tank. I also agree about the clowns, but the two I have now follow eachother around everywhere, and have even dug a little burrow under the rock, in which they retreat to together at lights-out. Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated!
icon_biggrin.gif

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 37 gallon tank, uh. Well, I am also in the process of setting a 37 gallon in my living room.

I agree with what Quillen said.

You didn't mention what books you read, so may I suggest Joyce Wilkerson's Clownfishes? I finished reading the book twice over the last couple of weeks. It is very enjoyable reading. Besides giving a lot of information on each species of clown, it also discusses appropriate anemonies and the breeding of clowns.

Instead of a Clarki, how about a royal gramma or a goby? As for me, I have an Ocellaris clown and a gramma in a 30 gallon, along with a couple cleaner shrimp.

In closing, it sounds like you have done yourself and your fish a big favor by doing Prior research. Keep up the good work and feel free to consult this board for any other questions you might have.

Welcome to the hobby.

arnjer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only comment on what happened in my 55 gal. I had a clarki and a tomato clown and they got along great for about a year and all of a sudden the clarki beat the sh*t out of the tomato and i took him out that night and put him in another 55 i had set up to recover. They were both small when i got them but when they got larger is when the trouble started. This happened in one day there was no advanced notice. I'm not saying don't do it but just wanted to share my experience. The tomato never recovered and died a month later. The clarki would grab him and not let go and when he did the tomato would just freeze. He didn't try to fight back or anything. I may get flamed for this but that's ok the more important thing here is to share my experience with you and give you a heads up as to what "may" happen.

Jerry

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definetly reconsider a third clown, feel free to do a search & see how many people have had problems with this - excellent function.

The load of a tank is always smallest when first established then grows (to its max) as the tank matures (filter, rocks, live sand). There is a build-up (hopefully) of 'pods and worms in your sand & good stuff on the rock that makes the tank a little healthier (act as extra filter). You still have a large chance of algeal blooms & other minor distasters for your tank, barring something for the worst happens. I stocked my tanks lightly for 10 months or so.

There are lots of posts done in the past about stocking levels as well. I read for a year on marine tanks religiously before starting a tank, say 40 books atleast, studying the way I would my college text. Some of the books told me things were fine that are clearly not from other reading and my experience. A marine hobby is one of analness, especially at the beginning, like picking out a dog & then training yourself along with the dog.

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: Quillen ]

jwtrojan44

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you are considering jawfish. How deep is your sand bed and what kind of sand are you using? I have a pair of jawfish who have constructed a neat little burrow in my 4 inch sand bed. I actually wish it was deeper now, but I would say 4 inches should be the minimum. Also, depending on the make-up of the sand, jawfish need small pieces of shell, coral rubble, etc to buttress the entrances to their burrows. It's really great to watch them dig out a hole and then reinforce it with pieces of larger rubble.You might want to look into a dwarf angel aftr the tank is up and running for awhile, or possibly a purple firefish. Outstanding coloration and a good community fish. Have fun. JWT

patm

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your advice, and I'm going to follow everyone's suggestion and forget about another clown. Instead, I'm thinking maybe a bicolor blenny(i've heard they have a great personality)
And jwtrojan44, I have about a 3-4" sand bed, but I am thinking about making it deeper. I use a fine sand, but was after reading about how jawfish construct their burrows, I was thinking about adding a very small amount of crushed coral in the corner, in where the fish can get ahold of some building materials.
Once again, thanks for everyone's advice!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: