67Stang

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I just got my first colt coral. It sure is beautiful and huge!

Anyway, after waiting about a month, I'd like to try my first cutting and mounting.

Can you help me with advice on the procedure?
I know that I need to use a new razor blade and I'll cut it at the branch.

How do I mount it?

I know to use the crazy glue gel.

But someone told me not to remove the colt from the water. Then how do I glue it to a piece of rock? Do I remove the colt from the water or not?

Also, where do I put the crazy glue on the colt? Do I put it on the spot I just made the cut or someplace else?

Any help is appreciated

Bruce

wuelfman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what i do is after cutting it
i take a toothpick and "stab" the coral with it about 1-2 above the cut
then at that point i rubberband the tooth pick the rock
after a couple weeks i pull the toothpick out
works great for me
icon_smile.gif

fish_who?

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this 3 different time, and the dang colt cutting keeps pulling itself off the toothpick. The last time I used alot of superglue, and it did the same thing. I have 3 colt cutting that are growing in different places now, because they blew around in the tank. I think I am going to try Zap gel this weekend.
icon_mad.gif

geofloors

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best way I have found to cut any type of soft coral is to cut it with a very sharp scissors (purchase at a fabric store and buy one you can take apart to clean) then either 1.place it on a bed of crushed coral till the foot attaches to some CC and glue where you want or 2. get some coarse or fine netting (depending on type of coral, on colt I use coarse), place cutting on propagation discs or a piece of LR then place netting over cutting and rock and wrap rubberband around it. I never remove any corals to cut them only remove them when I'm reattaching. I don't like the toothpick method because you have to reinjure the coral resulting in more losses. I have 95% success with netting and 100% with the CC method.

TYRYFIN

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had pretty good luck on soft corals using a needle and thread and just sewing it to the rock. You dont pull the thread really hard when going around the rock or you can pull it through the coral. I then take super glue ang glue the thread to the rock. In a week or so you can cut the thread and pull the ends through the coral.

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why they told you not to remove the coral from the water. Everywhere I see it done (and when I have done it myself) the coral was removed briefly from the water.

Ernie

Rick O

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a colt is the hardest coral to get to attach. They take forever. I don't think you'll get superglue to stick to it. I would get a small container and line the bottom with rubble or crushed coral and place the cutting in there. After a couple months it should attach then you can superglue the rubble to a larger rock.

Rick

julieanne

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problems with my neon tree frags. I use netting, just wrap it around the frag and plug, rubber band in place and it works great!
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: