• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on putting one or 2 mangrove in my main tank. Anyone knows where to order them? My LFS is selling about $15.00 a piece. I don't mind the price, but LFS is currently out of them. Anyone knows where online to order?

Thanks.

twarren

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One Mangrove seedling dropped my Nitrates from 50 ppm to 5-10 ppm within two days in my 90 gallon tank. I understand they need magnesium for the desalinazation that the root system does.

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: twarren ]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by twarren:
<STRONG>Try http://www.floridaplants.com/ I just received 8 Red Mangroves from them</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got two from them - under $12 including shipping.

Hammer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from the guy on ebay. Just search for 'mangrove' and you will see a few of his auctions. He seems to always have plenty.
$10 for 10 plants plus $4 shipping is what I paid (two weeks ago). One had small leaves, and all of them had roots starting.

The tops need to be out of the water. I just poked holes though a piece of styrofoam, and I am letting them just float in my refugium until they are tall enough to make it out of the water on their own. I already see some new root growth, but no new leaf growth yet.

Cheaper this way, but it will take them longer to grow enough to make an impact on your nitrates. I figure about 1 to 2 months before they are starting to do anything.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. Thanx everyone. I found the florida plant site and tried to place order online. Somehow I am having problem everytime I clicked on the order button. Guess I will have to call them Monday.

Mabu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you simply place the mangroves in the substrate totally underwater? Or do the leaves or top of them need to be outside the water?

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
I found the florida plant site and tried to place order online. Somehow I am having problem everytime I clicked on the order button.
I encountered the same problem a couple of weeks ago when I ordered, and I ended up getting 2 confirmations. I ordered 10 plants, and 2 orders of 10 plants showed up at my door a few days apart less than a week later. Unfortunately, what they don't tell you is that they (and most other places as well) cultivate their mangroves in fresh water, so when you get them, you can't just toss them into your reef. I did that with one order, and they all died except for 2 that are hanging on to dear life. The second order that I got (I got this even though I contacted them when I got 2 confirmations, but they told me to keep the 2nd order for free, not bad, 20 mangroves for $40 + shipping) are sitting in a vase of freshwater until I decide my method of acclimation. I think I will put them in a bigger system of fresh water and use salt water as the top off. That should be fairly gradual, and allow them to adjust appropriately. There's tons of sites out there telling you how to do it, and 3 weeks seems to be a popular figure for acclimating them to salt water, so I figure the more gradual approach will be better.

cubera

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to consider for the best mangroves: www.mangroves4sale.tripod.com
Last time I checked was $40 for 10 developed plants DELIVERED anywhere.
icon_biggrin.gif

mkayes

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from the guy on ebay. The seed pods arrived. I placed them in the sump. Four months latter, they all have multiple layers of leaves. They are growing like weeds. If anything the trees are going to be too tall.

cgbexec

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Mangrove seeds drop from the tree and float upon the surface until it drifts into a shallow area, where if the right conditions exist it will root and begin to grow. If your plant is not tall enough to plant and keep the leaves out of the water, float it with foam. They grow quick. IF a seed is with no roots or leaves is floated, roots will begin to appear in just a couple of weeks, with leaves to follow shortly.

Chris

icon_biggrin.gif

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Davelin315,
You mean I have to acclimate mangrove first? Those SOB's (excuse my language) advertise these are "aquarium ready" on their site!! Now, how many people put mangrove in thier FW tank?????

OK...calm down.....calm down.....calm down................& damn, I just placed an order for 20 yesterday! (I like your double order trick! Cool!, I will try that next time
icon_biggrin.gif
)

I guess I will have to stick them into a bucket and add a tea spoon of salt everyday...

Hammer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple way to acclimate to SG would be to cut the top off a milk jug or something like that, fill it mostly with FW, and add a little salt. Put this outside in the sunlight, and let the water evaporate. Happens at a even rate, and is simple enough. Plus the sunlight on the seedlings does them a lot of good.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: