KenH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a minor outbreak of a new tuft type of algae on my Fiji LR that I have never seen before. It has cropped up in the highest light and water flow areas. It is very short and dense. It is colored dark green/brown. It cannot be pulled from the rock and a toothbrush has no affect on it. Tangs don't touch it. I have seen the hermits pick at it to no affect. I have not seen my Sally Lightfoot crabs go near it. Here's a pic.

TuftAlgae.jpg

Any Suggestions?

jmeader

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've ever tried to pull it off, you know you need a pair of pliers and would prefer visegrips. You can scrape it off but that's tuff too. If anything can pull it off and eat it, I would expect it to be an emerald crab. However, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. There are a couple of ways to deprive it of light. Put it in an unlit sump. Turn it upsidedown. Or let hair algae overgrow it and sufficate it out. The good thing is that it doesn't grow nearly as fast as hair algae. However, if the emerald crabs do eat it, can you say, apoligize to the wife
icon_smile.gif

Mickes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK..OK... I e-mail the wife and apologized.. I guess them darn Emerald Crabs are eating the stuff. I think I'm going to just hand her over the tank.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Mickes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^
Anyone else have any ideas... I seen some of this starting just before I left. And according to my wife it is starting to get out of control... Nothing seems to be touching it, not even out hair loving hermit... I guess she just added 10 yes 10 Emerald Crabs to the tank thinking this will help. Can we say kill the wife... kill the wife... boom... boom.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mickes:
<STRONG>OK..OK... I e-mail the wife and apologized.. I guess them darn Emerald Crabs are eating the stuff. I think I'm going to just hand her over the tank.
icon_rolleyes.gif
</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After the TEN emeralds finished off most algaes, you will want to rethink "Can we say kill the wife... kill the wife... boom... boom."

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: