Jeff Hood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With only one halide you may experience a shadow from the plastic bar but it will be subtle. You are right with two it should eliminate the shaddow. The single halide does this because it has a single point where the light comes from in contrast to your Vho tubes.

Jeff

Cajun

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently finished building a new light hood for my 37 gal (tall) tank. I plan on installing a 250 watt MH Iwasaki and actinic supplements. Im a little perplexed as to the correct location of the Halide light. I have a plastic cross member support running across the top of the tank right smack dab in the middle. Can I still mount the halid light in the center of the hood? My enclosure will provide for a elevation of about 10" off the surface of the water. I may need 2 of these halides mounted on each end for a successful reef. Any ideas or opinions will be welcomed............

Cajun

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try mounting it a bit off-center, then placing a small reflector on the other side of the brace. Then tweek the reflector to minimize the shadow area.

I've got a 37 gallon tank. No MH, but I've been wondered about this myself. It'd be real easy and cheap enough to try out.

Ty

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also reverse mount your MH fixture. Turning the MH socket toward the center and the bulb to the outside. The MH light will be lighting up the sides leaving the center slightly darkened. I doubt the darkened area will be noticeable, but you can place some really cool not-so-light-loving specimens in the center focal point.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: