janmango

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like it? Any problems? What do you have it rigged up to...in terms of a water reservoir? TIA.

jan

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this doesn't jinx me, but I have had a Kent float valve on my system for about 1 1/2 years. It has run flawlessly. I have a 20 gallon rubbermaid container sitting on my workbench in my garage (my tank is on the other side of the garage wall). The valve is connected to my sump and the other end is connected to the rubbermaid container. I drilled the container and used Jaco fittings for a RO unit and siliconed them in place on the container. I then let gravity do it's work. HTH

monkeyboy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for a couple of months in a 32g trash can. It works just dandy! There's not much that can go wrong with it (ie: it doesnt get banged around, just lightly lifted by water!) My 2 cents.

DEADFISH1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dito
icon_biggrin.gif

janmango

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Thanks for the replies. Since I have a glass sump, I was thinking of adding a baffle in which the float valve will be hooked up to. You guys have any suggestions here. Thanks again.

jan

Litoria

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with Andy. Although I have had great success with the Kent float valve, I would be careful hooking it up directing to a sump, especially for f/w makeup. Should it stick, you will have a flood, and lots of dead animals. What I do is run the float into a 50g water container, this container then is connected to a 20 rubbermaid container via a ball valve. Once a week I open the valve and fill the 20g conatiner. The 20g is connected to the sump via a rio 600 ( I need to replace this) and an Ultralife reef float switch. Even if it stick, 20 gallons of water is not going to mess up my 450 gallons system. Build reliablity into your system and always presume that everything will fail someday. Aquarium keeping is Murphy's Law at its best.

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have mine hooked up to a 3 gal water bottle. this doses kalk 24/7 for me. just have to take it out and soak in vinegar for a while to get rid of the ca precip. otherwise works great!!

later
Lunchbucket

cerreta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a 5gal water jug with spigot for the addition of top off water into my sump. I drilled into the plexi to secure the float valve. Works great and is very simple since no other pumps or electronics are necessary.
Jan, previous to this acrylic sump, I considered glass and bought a Little Giant float assembly which is actually made for animal water troughs. The nice thing about this plastic assembly, is that it can hang on the edge of your glass sump. The only thing made of metal is the hanging support brace, which can easily be replaced by something made of plastic.

You should be able to find the float valve at a local animal feed store, if not, let me know and I will provide you with my contact.

Check out the pics. If they don't work, let me know and I will foward to you.
http://www.geocities.com/cerreta.rm/Float-1.jpg http://www.geocities.com/cerreta.rm/Float-2.jpg
Cheers,
Scott

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: