DaktariEd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What to say to somebody who believes water changes arnt ness. and DSB are bad?

Pretty much the same as Quillen: Smile, say "Thanks for the advice," then build it your way and show him the results...
icon_biggrin.gif

Can't really argue with results (unless he just likes to argue).

HTH,

Ed
icon_smile.gif

Kflash1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping reef tanks since the early 70's and they were around long before I started. In the 70's we could still buy good quality coral from the Gulf of Mexico that was covered with Christmas tree worms and all the stuff the aquacultured rock has on it now and a couple places in Tampa always had a great selection of corals, even back then. The main problem wasn't getting the inhabitants, it was the quality of lighting on the market. Wasn't much to choose from back then and very little research done on the subject. Of course everything was undergravel filters back then.

I use aprox. 1" of crushed coral on the bottom of my tanks and wouldn't change no matter what anyone said as I have great success with it. If you are having success with a DSB then I wouldn't change that either. Its really what works for you and not what works for the other guy. If you are having problems then thats a different story and you want to experiment with other ideas, but if what you have is working and all your inhabitants are happy then why change! Like Litoria said, there is an art to it or a method I would also say. Differant methods work for differant people. Mine works for me so I keep it. The best change I ever made was when I stopped using tap water and bought an RO unit. Now that made a major differance and I was glad I listened to others and tried it. But now I have no more blooms and my glass only barley needs a minor scraping every couple of weeks and all paramiters are great so why would I change anything else? I do water changes but only around 40% or so every 6 months. I add a few, not many, supplements a couple times a week.

If your DSB works for you Ben then I would tell them that and let it go at that or ask them why you should tamper with success.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my sisters friend keeps telling her I am doing everything wrong. Deep sand beds are bad for reefs and water changes arnt ness. He says DSB trap organics and there for are a bad thing for a reef system. He's been keeping reefs since the 60's so he says and the correct way is no sand bed or water changes. Yet he claims to keep "all the types of coral." I sent him some articals from the library by shimek and others on DSB's. Of course since the persons been keeping tanks since the 60's hes convinced his way is the right way. I feel any one who doesnt understand there are more then one way to do this successfully doesnt understand the basics of reef keeping. He says that DSB mess up the N cycle. I think he never kept up to date with the thinking on this subject. He also says the only people that reccomend DSB are sand companies! Any way what do you say to this type of person? What would you suggest.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing I tell people on here..

many people do things differently and my way is working for me. Thank you for your thoughts on the subject, a lot of variety on the hobby has been established since the 60's. I am glad that your tank is so beautiful, I would love to see some pictures. Oh, btw, here is my tank with the deep sand bed & see how healthy everything is? THis is what I have been doing for the X amount of time and these are my tank stats.

Otherwise, if people are being a pain-in the fin, just ignore them and go on. It sounds like you are doing a good way to me.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say nothing. If he has been successful since the 60's he has been successful. They methods are not as important as the end result. If he has a problem with your method, he has a problem. Do not make his problem your problem.

Litoria

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen his reef tanks? A quick clue to see if someone even understands how to keep a reef is to see their tank. If it is amazing, then tell him that you will take his opinions into consideration. If it is not, try to explain to him in more detail the theory around a DSB. You should remind this person either way that reef keeping is not all 100% science, it is some art, and that there are many successful ways to keep a thriving reef aquarium. I have tried it in almost every way possible ( w/d, ug, berlin, jaubert, modified jaubert, dsb, open) One thing that does throw up a flag for me is him saying that he has been keeping reef tanks since the 60's. Reef keeping has not really been around on a large scale basis for very long. I started my first tank in the late eighties. THe understanding for keeping coral was minimal and I struggled alot. Before this time, reef keeping did not really exist in the US. Most people thought that keeping corals alive in capitivity was impossible. It was German aquarists in the early eighties who first showed American aquarists that keeping saltwater fish and corals is possible. Anyway, back to the point. Always remember that this hobby is very opinionated. Probably the one thing that rarely happens, and the one that annoys me the most, is that rarely do people acknowledge that there is more than one way to do something. It is either their way or nothing. Once along time ago, when wet dry filters were first invented, undergravel enthusiasts were crying foul to me. Telling me it wasnt going to work. Same thing happened when I told my local LFS that I was taking out the bio-media and starting a new type of system called Berlin. So it is the same story over and over. Just try to be patient, explain that there are many sides to fishkeeping, and let it be. Learn and succeed, and dont let others tell you a certain way cannot be done. Sorry if that was a little long winded.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: