phishy4

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of awesome lfs here in Cincinnati worth checking out.
I was wondering if there are any in Columbus worth driving up to?

geo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how about sending me a little info on the awesome stores in cinci
icon_wink.gif

Are they woth a drive from columbus?

CHL

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, well I'm from Columbus as well. There a few fish stores around here. There's a Jack's Aquarium off Fishinger in Hilliard, Aquarium Adventure at Dublin-Granville road in Dublin, Byerly's on 5th and Granview, and Fish Junction in Westerville. Petland at Carriage place (Sawmill & Bethel). And then of course, there's Petco
icon_mad.gif
. From worst to best, Petco->Petland->Jack's Aquarium->Aquarium Advenure->Byerly's.
Fish Junction is a good place to obtain small frags of corals (propagated) that you want to get but don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

Though, fish junction should be called coral junction. They sell more corals than fish. Fish junction is a very small store which has weird hours (THU-SUN) only. They have a large tang and a butterfly in a large prop tank. I have to say, although fish junction only sells small variety of fish and a large variety of corals, it's one of the better stores. However, store presentation is decent but owner is very knowledgeable.

Byerly's sells a lot of fish, some dry goods. They carry a large selection of fish and some corals. I like them because they do carry some odd fish that you don't find at Aquarium Adventure. Most of the time, their fish is in decent health. Owner and employee seem knowledgeable in their field.

Aquarium adventure carries a large variety of fish and dry goods. It's a rather large store. Aquarium Adventure does try to carry a large volume and variety of fish. Generally the fish health isn't as good as Byerly's. However, the store presentation is pretty good. The store also has a library section where customers can sit and read about fish. Owner and employee are fairly knowledgeable.

Other fish stores I won't bother mentioning.
Small variety of fish and coral, and generally fish are in poor health.

geo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told that Dennis (fish junction) is now Mail order only.
I really dont think I would want to drive 2.5 houres to see any of the other places. If you were to be in town then I would say you should check them out (probably not Jacks, you have one down there and it looked nicer x10 than the one I have close to me,dont know about the Hillard store it could be much nicer).

highrpm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI - since you guys are on both sides of Dayton, check out Aquariums Etc...It is close to the Dayton Mall off 75 or 675.

It is not as big as Byerly's or House of Tropics but they have a good selection and they are cheaper than any store I have been to in Columbus, or Cincy.

Here is a link to the address and map.
http://yp3.superpages.com/supermaps/mapinit.phtml?CID=5199HI298CE&T=dayton&LC=6&N=aquarium&PG=L&PI=1&PM=00000402&STYPE=S&R=N&SRC=excite&S=OH&AL=&MC=1&map.x=212&map.y=125&level=8&la t=0396273&lng=-0841875&POI1lat=0396273&POI1lng=-0841875&POI1name=Aquariums+Inc&streetaddress=&city=Dayton&state=OH&zip=45459&LID=0010132406&LS=&display=1&AD=&GV=0&GL=&FN=&PP=&CID=5 199HI298CE&CB=

HTH

phishy4

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.House of tropics on river rd.
Huge store with tons of fish and decent coral
2. Monfort heights aquarium
Best coral in town expensive though
3.Wet pets- 300 gallon reef tank is amazing.
Cheapest place in town lots of coral.
If you drive to cincy all 3 of these stores are worth checking out.
4.aquatic exoitics in Mt.Heathly
10,000 gallon shark tank and a 1000 gallon saltwater fish tank very close to wet pets.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: