Rick

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going again in October .
When you get there they have little maps and places to see all over the place with rateings of diferant spots . very touristy . I've been on almost all the boat tours but my best times were spent investigating on my own , right from any of the shores on the west side . The water is great and almost anywhere you go out will have reefs .
Your going to love it . I spend most of my time in the water .

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search on the board under Maui.
A couple of guys went a few months ago. You could also send a private message to them to find out the secret snoreling areas.
I envy you.

phishy4

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a show on Maui's public aquarium. It really looked unbelievable.
Its probably worth checking out AFTER you snorkel and see the real wild coral reef.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was a Graemlin with his tongue sticking out. I'mjealous. Hope you have a blast.

kennethstowell

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ,i'm going to maui aug. 26 yeah! so has anyone gone lately, i'm looking for the best boat to go with on the snorkel trips to molokini and any other good snorkel spots(reef spots) around the islands? any opinions would be appreciated

mariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first day there, sign up for one of the time share tours. I know its not the funnest thing to do but you'll get breakfast and huge discounts on snorkeling,diving, helicopter rides.....ETC. It only takes about an hour of your time and will save you about 50% on your activities.

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you go, be prepared to do some collecting! They don't allow you to touch any corals (lps, sps, soft) which is a good thing, but you can take certain fish with you and also as many little hermit crabs and snails etc that you want. When you fly into the airport, just to the west is the local department of agriculture. They will issue you a free collectors permit which will allow you to collect a small number of creatures every day, and also give you a guide on what is allowed. Go to K-Mart in town and buy yourself a bait bucket and a small net, and enjoy yourself. When I went, I brought a powerhead and bags for packaging, and then a spare bag for carrying my critters on the plane. They arrived here safely with me, and I've got a great population of hermit crabs in my tank (good luck catching fish while snorkeling, just think about how hard it is to catch a fish in your tank, and then think of how big the ocean is..... you get the idea), a couple of star fish, and one cool urchin (there are little pencil urchins that you can find on the rocks just snorkeling). By the way, another way to really have some fun in the water is to buy some raw shrimp at a grocery store and bring those with you while snorkeling. You should never touch sea turtles, but they'll come right up to you if you've got shrimp or some other native sea food, and also, you'll bring the fish to yourself. Just make sure you don't scare the hell out of other snorkelers by attracting a couple of sharks (unless you like sharks like I do
icon_razz.gif
).

Reeffreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went there last year with my wife and some friends. We dove both Molokini and lave tubes on I think Lanai. We chartered with Maui Dive shop. I found there prices to be expensive but they did take care of us onthe trip.

I have also been snorkling out at Molokini. I can't remember which charter we chose at that time is was quite a while ago. Also be careful with feeding the fishes out there. They are so friendly, cause everyone and their mother feeds them, that they have no fear and will come right up to you. both myself and friends were biten by some large tangs. I ended up just throwing the food and watching from a distance.

If I can figure out how to add pictures to the post I would...

Have a blast and I wish I could come.....

Steve

Reeffreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I think I have it now!

bf2.jpg

bigasstang.jpg

idol.jpg

octopus.jpg
school1.jpg

Hope this works

Steve

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Reeffreak ]

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Reeffreak ]

a novice

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived in Honolulu a few years back and the best advice I can give you is ask the locals.
When we first moved there we went to all the 'touristy' places... yeah, there were fish but it was nothing like the smaller non tourist beaches. The resort that we stayed at on Maui was right on the beach and there was a little trail through the woods that went to this little beach. There we sooooo many turtles and fish is was really neat... we were the only people out in the water and there was no parking and hardly any beach... no tourists. It's the 'middle of nowhere' type places that are great.
Good Luck, have fun!

pez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We went on a boat called the Trilogy. The crew was great. It was a snorkel/scuba combination. I highly recommend them. http://www.sailtrilogy.com/

-Tom

p.s.,

since my wife lost my hat, can you get me another one?
icon_wink.gif

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: pez ]

Cindy S

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're staying in Kihei or Wailea you'll be close to the most spectacular snorkling in Hawaii. I've snorkled at Ulua beach. It is my favorite early morning spot, otherwise it's too crowded. Also I've kayaked and snorkled off of the Makena Landing and in the 5 Graves area. Lots of sea turtles and other critters. Check out this website: http://www.maui.net/~mol/snorkel.html

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: