hurrifan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 180 gallon tank and thought it would be much easier to use synthetic water instead of natural. Does anyone have any advice, input or experiences that they would like to share? Please advise.

stevemcadoo

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use natural sea water and have for 40+ years. I have never used synthetic, even though everyone uses it. The only problems I have had are-sometimes you get coralline algae spores and get a crust going on the glass, also you might get feather dusters- I'm talking an infestation, on the glass and rocks. In a reef tank these would be good but this has happened in a fish only tank to me a few times. The up side is its free. I use a trailer with 3- 55 gallon plastic drums and go to the pass at the top of a rising tide when its calm. The water is clearest and cleanest then. I hump 5 gallon buckets back and forth 2 at a time. Thats a lot of work. Takes about 10-15 minutes. Then I hook up a mag drive 1200 to a garden hose(I already hooked up an adaptor from 3/4 taper to 3/4 straight)drain out some water while cleaning the gravel and then pump clean water into tank. In the winter I warm up the water with aquarium heaters. Also I dont have things die like with artificial sea water. I use live sand and live rock too, and have for 40+ years also(back before we called it live rock and live sand). It works for me. They tell me I'm crazy for using it at the LFS but when I go to get water and see all the seafans and seawhips and coral and sponges growing like crazy from the seawall, I know whats best. I'd say if you live near the water and can do it without too much trouble-go for it. Get it on a calm day and at high tide. Park close to the ocean like at a pass on a rising tide near crest. Hope this helps. I used to use the boat. go out and get it off shore, but I have found a trailer and drums in the inlet is easier. Steve in Sarasota

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to good, clean Natural Sea Water (NSW), you are fortunate. If you are like everyone else, you go with synthetic.

Do a search on the board for "salt water" or "favorite salt".

As for me, I use Instant Ocean mixed into RO water. I let is age for over 24 hours with a powerhead.

HTH

gazpep

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use NSW. I'd recommend it provided a) you are absolutely sure the source is pollution free and b) the collection and storage drums are free of possible contminants.

Reading John Tullocks book, even for those that use artificial salts he advocates seeding it with a small amount of NSW to encourage plankton etc.

For what it's worth the Sydney Aquarium pumps NSW straight from Sydney Harbour into holding tanks which receive no filtration, just heating. They maintain some fantastic reef environments using the water. Someone asked the question about the lack of filtration on the water and they said "of course we screen out the prawns"...

You must be absolutely sure on the source and handling though.

Enkidu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing else, NSW is cheap. I feel that I'm taking it up the rear buying everything that goes along with putting a reef together. The only thing that makes me feel good is that once its built I can get filtered salt water from the Seattle Aquarium for ~$0.05 per gallon.

Sashimi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seed my tank with 2 litres of NSW everyweek. I did notice increased diversity of algae though...

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 100 g tank with 100% NSW from Corpus Christi bay. It was great.
My larger tank (total water is 500 g) I used synthetic sea water (IO) I don't think there is any different. I just cannot lug 500 g of water. Lugging 100 g several times (my Rio blew up on me and fried my 100 g tank cause me to do 100% water change twice to save my animals) just about do me in.
In my tank now, I often add 2-5 g NSE at various time for various reasons. This cause no problem even addit directly from the bay into the tank.

Bomber

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hurrifan,
Given the choice, I would use NSW.
1) Home Depot, 5gal gas cans
2) West Marine or Boaters World, battery driven water pump (plugs into cigarette lighter)
3) 50 ft garden hose
that's it.
For you Hallover, MacArthur, Government Cut, Bear Cut. All will do at high tide. Ask Floyd, he delivers to all the pet shops and wholesalers. Well, except Etrops. they bought their own water truck.
With NSW, you'll have to buffer (Superbuffer works fine), but in time you have to buffer anything anyway.
It's really a mute point, when you consider the wholesalers and retailers are using NSW.
Bomber

gazpep

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that surprised me when I read it was that you can sterilize seawater using chlorine, which effectively removes any residual organics. The bottom layer of mulm is then removed and once all traces of chlorine disappear, the water can be reused. You need a fairly decent interval between treatment and re-use and test that zero chlorine remains.

I think it was Martin Moe, or perhaps Albert Thiele who espoused that method. Personally, I'm too chicken to try it but apparently it can and has been done.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like Sprung and Delbeek said in the Reef Aquarium "We suggest that individuals who claim that seawater is dangerous to marinelife immediately go out and do a water change on the ocean". This is assuming that you are using water that is not taken from a contaminated source. The NY Aquarium(which has improved over the last 10 years...tremendously improved)uses water from Sheepshead Bay,Brooklyn,NY. This water has long been thought to be highly contaminated with human waste and industrial pollutants. It is true that they filter their water to ensure that it is purer. But large sand filters are not going to remove toxic wastes.

I firmly believe that NSW,if available,is best. Forget about the plankton issue and look at what the words/letters mean. NSW=Natural SeaWater. Natural is exactly what it states. The specimens you keep are from that same water. No one can make seawater better than nature itself. Once again this is assuming you collect from a good source. Which means you should collect from areas that do not have any slicks on the surface or other obvious,visable,contaminants. After collection,look at a sample of water for small planktonic organisms. If you see some moving about,you have good water. Plankton dies off quickly in "bad" water. Adjust(slowly) the salinity and temperature to you tanks parameters. Then you have a choice,add it now or store it for two weeks in the dark until the plankton dies and the ammonia cycle passes. You may do the second without adjusting any parameters. After the two weeks syphon the mulm from the bottom and use.

I've used NSW from the adjacent bay area on LI without any problems. I test the water for phos/nitrate before using it. If the reading is noticable I store 2 weeks until settled. Then I syphon the brown mulm from the bottom and test again the next day. The readings plummet. Ten years ago I wouldn't even think of trying this,due to the fact that NY water was brown/dark green and visibly contaminated. But over the last five years or so the water here has improved tremendously. I also suggest that you pour your water through mesh prior to use/storage. In NY small jellyfishes may wind up in your tank. They usually die quickly. But I still prefer not to introduce them.

I use synthetic seawater now due to the convience. I also only have a 55 Gallon tank which doesn't require large amounts of water. However,when I upgrade to a larger tank(at minimum a 120 gallon) I will return to NSW for both cost and the fact it is natural,and in my opinion BETTER!

GL

Dan

Jason Day

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in San Diego. I just go down to Scrips Aquarium or (Stephen Birch). They have a faucet that you can drive up to and get all the saltwater you want for free. The water comes from a peir that goes out about a quarter of a mile fifty feet down.

I put it in 5 gallon gas cans and bring it home. Use it right then or when I need it. I've down 100 percent tank changes no problems. I can't believe that more people don't use it.

Jason

P.S. Last time I was at Scripps the reef displays looked like aptasia farms with coral. Why don't they just get a copperband?

bowfront

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I see you are from FL also. I've used NSW plenty in the past but have been using synthetic for the past few years just because I'm getting old I quess. I just don't feel like lugging 5g jugs farther than from my garage to the tank. If you are younger than me and want a good cheap source of water go to the places bomber mentioned on a clear high tide and start pumping. Plenty of reefers down here are using good old Florida NSW with excellent results.
icon_cool.gif

toptank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use NSW from Scripps in San Diego. The LSF said that I would have a big algae problem but I have used it for 9 months with no problems tomarrow. Just don't use it when we have red tides.

Barry

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: