mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tiny snowflake eel yesterday, and from what I've read and been told, thought it crawling out of the tank really wouldnt be a problem, I was wrong, within the first hour of the lights being out, it hit the floor, and traveld a good ways from tank, if i didnt happen to move something about 8 feet from the tank, it would've been way too late before I found it, whats the best way to escqape proof my tank?,its a 45 high, with just rock and 5-6" baby snowflake

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm where did you read that and who told you ?
Snowflake Eels are notorious caarpet surfers and will escape out of the smallest opennings.
If you have a skimmer they've even been known to crawl thru the outlets. As much as everyone hates glass tops, a tight fitting one that's sealed at the aquarium edges is the best prevention especially with that small of eel.
If you can find small egg crate this may work but I wouldn't count on it.

Regards,
David Mohr

suckair

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have some funny snow flake stories..
I still have mine but it took several modifications to "eel proof" my system.

My tank has a glass covered top and is reef ready so there is no way he could get to the floor.. I would suggest this type of setup for a eel.. However the problems don't stop there.

They chace you down just to bite you! At first I was quite scared of this but now it is a neat trick to demonstrate to my friends. I found out about this when trying to get him out of the over flow.. He enjoyed that spot and would go right back in after I removed him.. Well I was digging in trying to herd him up the over flow "as I had shut off the valve and was flooding it" and the little bast@#$%#$#$%d bit me..! After this it was quite easy to get him out.. I would just stick in a finger, he would chomp on it and then I would pull out my hand with the little rascle still attached and drop him in the main section of the tank with a little jerk of my finger..

I first tried to put up a guard around the top of the overflow and to my surpise he was sneaking between the little slits in the overflow! So then I used a large nylon Zip tie to reduce the open space on the overflow slit and he would sneak in under it and end up in the overflow. Finaly I used two rings of zipties that went all around the slits and he has not been there since.

He is a little agressive and you may lose some small crabs or snails but I consider it a small expense for the sheere enjoyment of watching him swim around the tank. He has not bothered any of my fish, corals, or LARGE emerald crabs.. He did eat one of my smaller ones.. and will eat anything that he can catch with his poor vision and small mouth.. My cleaner shrimps and pepermints have not been bothered by him..

Well I hope this has helped you and gave you a laugh..

Thanks
Randall AKA suckair #reefs

MontanaRocknReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I bought a snowflake eel yesterday that I have been wanting for quite some time. It has a beautiful pattern and is 6 inches long.
It has settled in real nice with a cave high up in a big piece of LR that I have and down below in the same LR a bonded pair of Maroon clownfish reside and they get along so far.
I fed it today for the first time with a piece of shrimp and clam and it was an awesome sight to watch. I have heard about their escape episodes and I have about an inch opening across the back of my tank and will have to maybe do something about that. Johnny
icon_smile.gif

mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I built a canopy for it..could'nt find a 3 foot glass top..it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.....kinda chaps my ass a bit that I paid 120 bucks for the one on my reef, and for 20 bucks I built one almost identical to it in just a few hours, but to the point,the canopy will completely cover the front and two sides, I'm going to put some nylon window screen around the back,wich should prevent escape,and allow for good ventilation, gonna run one or two 96 watt pc's in it....if anyone sees a problem with the plan speak now
thanks, M.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you put a couple coats on it to prevent the salt spray rotting it out. I used to custom order a canopy and put screens on top of the canopy to vent out the heat. But since you are not placing MH in it, maybe you are OK.

Also, make sure your canopy has easy access to the tank. (I made that mistake once and have to remove the whole canopy everytime I need to do water changes.....Duh....)

mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now its unfinished inside, thinking about inlaying the inside with white formica, I built it with a hinged top, connected to the front panel, just lift up on the front panel,and the top folds over on itself and you have plenty of room to work with.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: