ReefQuest

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RIO 2500 pushing water from the sump to the main tank. It is turning itself on & off every couple of mins. Anyone have a clue as to why it is doing this and how I can fix it?
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

Regards,
Chris

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to clean it periodically to remove all sand grains got caught between the magnetic shaft. I too have the same problem with mine eventhough I do clean them periodically. I finally quit on them and switched to a mag. You may want to consider replacing it as the model you have is known having a higher degree of probability to leak toxic substances in the event of break down or casing leakage. A Mag 9.5 should do your purpose well.

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know why it is doing it, IT IS A BAD PUMP! Remove it before it fails on you like my 2100 did on June 11th. Replace it ASAP. I don't know how yet to post past threads, but do a search for "woke up to a burning smell".

Don't take this lightly.

Mitch

ReefQuest

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do clean the RIO periodically. I had just finished cleaning it prior to posting. It comes on for 2 minutes & then shuts off for a while. It is basically useless right now.

Thank you for the suggestions on a new pump. I will take those into consideration. I knew I was in for it when I posted this. It seems like whenever I go to a reef board, once I get through all the threads on GARF
icon_biggrin.gif
, I find threads on how much RIO's are crap.
icon_mad.gif
Please don't turn this into a RIO bashing thread.
icon_rolleyes.gif
If you don't think there is any fixing it, please suggest a pump and possibly where one could find the best price...

Regards,
Chris

bigtank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull it out...it's a disaster waiting to happen. I had a Rio and it sucked. The company sucks, those pumps SUCK.

Why not a Mag 950?

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all of the above, they're pretty crappy pumps (although they work ok on a wavemaker for the smaller pumps). Replace it with a non-submersible pump if you can, they seem to be a lot more reliable and don't get clogged as easily (I've been using the same little giant pump for over 10 years and it still works like a gem even though I now use it on a pressure filter).

ReefQuest

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on how to fix it at least so I can get through a little while longer with it???

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: ReefQuest ]

Alice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand about getting your money's worth in this hobby, boy do I; with three kids I reef on a non-alcoholic beer budget! But I'd beg or borrow before I ran that Rio in my tank any longer. I think you're courting disaster and it's just not worth the risk, IMO.

~Alice

Jason Day

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every Rio 2500 that I've come into contact with either directly or indirectly would fail after about a year.

I have a mag pump now and am very hapy with it.

I think the small rio's 600, 800 work well enough though.

Jason
icon_rolleyes.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: