A

Anonymous

i recently moved into a 2nd floor apartment and currently have only a 29 gallon aquarium but plan on upgrading to a 75 in the coming months. do any of you other apartment dwellers carry aquarium insurance?

while surfing around today i found this:

insurance

does anyone have any experience in this area?

MontanaRocknReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lived at my apartment for six years and have had a 72 gallon bow front which I tore down and now have a 80 gallon reef which is up against a load bearing wall on the 2nd floor and have no insurance and feel quite confident. Johnny:)

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: MontanaRocknReefer ]

trybka

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got renter's insurance and although I haven't had to use it it's well worth the extra couple of bucks a month. It will protect against more than just water damage.... check into it.

dieselboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No insurance for me...I also live on the second floor. If I were to upgrade from the 50, to say a 150, I would get it, definitely. But since my upgrade will only be to a 75 against a load bearing wall, I doubt I'd get it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the renter's insurance suggestion. Talk to your agent and they can arrange to include the aquarium, however it should be covered under a regular policy.

Having just gone through (3 months ago) a major fire in my old building I can't stress enough the importance. Most policies are about $100-200 a year. Most people including those that had significant fire, smoke and water damage did not have insurance and were royally screwed.

Ravenstar

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you may want to think about the apartment below you and what damage that water can do to them and their belongings. Which of course will come zooming right to your mailbox in the form of a nice bill from your landlord AND maybe a notice of increased rent (Pet deposit?).

SteveMH

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a 75g reef on a third floor apartment. I had the insurance before the tank even. As cheap as it is it's a no brainer IMO. Plus I get a discount on my auto insurance by buying the renter's insurance. True, it may never get used. But if something does happen, not only is the tank covered but so is any damage the tank may cause by flooding, and in any other case (such as fire, theft, etc.) most everything else in the apartment is covered.

Steve

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on second floor with 75g tank. I have no insurance, but am going to be getting it soon. I have had 3 major leaks in the two years I've lived there. (one RO/DI problem where the rubbermaid tub cracked!, one time the return hose popped off the pump, and one time a skimmer overflow problem.)

I was not charged for any of the leaks even though it did make water stains on the downstairs apt.

I took steps to overcome problems by buying two smaller rubbermaid 20g tubs and stacking them, buying a float valve, and I am going to install a float valve on my skimmer cup so that if the water level goes too high it cuts off the air to the skimmer. My Home Depot doesn't sell hose clamps so I might order from premiumaquatics.com

-Nathan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gal in the middle of a room as a divider. Although I know my floor will hold, I am more affraid of a leak in the tank, or some plumbing accident that will drench the apartment below me.

I will, however, have renters insurance by the end of the week. My place was robbed monday, and they got away with about $2000 of stuff. If I would have spent the $300 earlier, I would be getting new stuff for next to nothing. Now I will slowly have to replace everything from my own pocket.

Just another reason to get the renters insurance.

b

Boogiechillin

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest insurance as well. I only pay a little over a hundred a year, and if my tank were to burst I would be reimbursed for the loss as well as covered for any water damage that might occur to the downstairs neighbor. With the thousands of dollars that people pour into their tanks, I just don't see why $100 is too much to protect the investment. At the very least, have enough money around to reimburse your neighbor's damage should it happen - how would you like it if you came home to find the livingroom drenched and no payment in sight for several months?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: