skeeter1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and giggle, I'm new to this hobby and pulled a really dumba^% move. My 4 month old 150 gal, several very happy fish(2 perc clowns, firefish, purple psued, goby), several happy soft corals, several sps that show considerable growth, and I wake-up Friday morning with my head up my *&^. Called a DFW area on-line retailer and ordered a blue regal tang and a powder blue tang(BIG BUCKS - AGAIN), met them later that afternoon to pick-up fish. Got fish home and slowly dripped tank water for over an hour before I introduced them into my tank. The blue tang went right to eating (great), the powder blue would not take food(maybe in a couple of days). Yesterday I got home from work and immediately went to check my tank, both tangs looked like they just came in from a Texas Panhandle blizzard. I know, I know, everything I read before I mortgaged the house to start this HOBBY said to quarantine any new fish for two weeks, DOES ANYONE REALLY DO THIS?? I removed the fish last night and put them in a bucket with an airstone, HERE"S MY MAIN CONCERN AT THIS POINT - is my tank now infected forever with ich??? I'm going out today to purchase a 10 gal setup for future quarantine procedures. Please advise on what I should do now. Here's a message to anyother newcomer - SPEND THE EXTRA $50 FOR A QUARANTINE TANK
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_eek.gif

cvarcher

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skeeter 1, Dont panic.Your tank will have ich nomatter what you do.Its like the pneumonia germ its always there waiting for you to be stressed out. SDince you have them out and Isolated rather quickly you might as well relieve them.Do not use copper or medications!Lower the salinity to 1.016 and hold it thewre for several weeks.They will be cleared by then.Then slowly bring back the salinity to 1.023 or so and reintroduce them to the reef. Now very important. Buy Kent Marine ZOE vitamins and every day you feed them their spirul;ina flakes put 4-5 drops on the flakes and let it soak for a few minutes before feeding it to them. This stuff is a miracle.Let me know how you make out -ok [email protected]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: