• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

phishy4

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Best tank I have ever seen.
If ANYONE knows of a better one please post the link. This is the pinnacle of the hobby.
Its really unbelievable. How much does it cost $60,000. Any guesses on total cost?
Heres the link web page

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far this year, I've started a 115 gallon system and then upgraded to a 180. I've got about $9,000 in it so far this year. I'd guess that you could do a 300 gallon system with LR, MH lighting but no livestock for $14,000-15,000. Then you could start stocking up on corals!
icon_biggrin.gif

percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes on this board and RC... really nice guy. Like most eveyrone on here... why not ask him? I think hes on RC more though...?

gerowe

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I've set up a 300G tank this year for considerably less than some of the figures quoted above. Here's the breakdown (the figures are approximate):

Custom Tank with overflows + shipping: $2000
2 2x400W PFO Retro kits/sockets/reflectors: $480
4 Iwasaki 400W bulbs: $240
2 4-lamp LN VHO kits (ballast + caps): $280
8 vho actinics: $160
Sump (diy 60G acrylic): $120
Dolpin Return Pump: $330
2 1" sea swirls: $340
2 Gemini pumps: $140
Bullet 3 skimmer and pump: $650
Calcium Reactor + regulator: $650
Heaters: $100
Assorted plumbing/electrical: $200

300 lbs. uncured live rock (cure it yourself in a plastic children's pool with the Bullet): $900 (including air freight)

600 lbs. dead sand (the price varies alot depending on whether you can get southdown, are will to use some silica sand, etc. I did both and spent about $300--partly because southdown on the west coast is spendy, partly because I used about 200 lbs. of "Oregon beach sand"--but alot less than using all Caribsea, etc. (I did not get a diatom bloom from the beach (silica) sand.

100 lbs. live sand + shipping: $250

Miscellaneous: $200

If I've added correctly, all of the above comes to a bit over $7300. Don't what stands/hoods run, but if you can get one for $750 (I built one for less), the total should be somewhere around $8000 without snails, corals, fish, etc.

All of the above assumes that you're willing to do some electrical and plumbing work, as well as work with acrylic. If not, then the cost goes up accordingly. I'm also sure you can do better than some of the prices I have quoted; building your own skimmer or calcium reactor (or ordering one or both from someone like Myreef or Geo on the net) will reduce the cost considerably.

I realize this is pretty crude, but perhaps this outline of my costs setting up a similar tank will be helpful.

George

RWD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
It's my tank in the link above. I would say gerowe's figures are pretty accurate.There are some differences but no two systems are exactly alike. I built the stand and hood myself and did all the electrical and plumbing work too. Most of the corals and rock were from previous tanks so I didn't have to buy a whole lot to fill out the new tank. Starting from scratch I would guess 8-10K if you diy some stuff and 12-15K if you bought everything. HTH,Bob

teddibear703

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i go to RC, i can't seem to view anything. All the threads are not showing up? is the sever down? I've been registerd there for a while now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: