0   0   0
I am in the market for one and not sure if
one is better that the other.
Any help would be appreciated

percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen the original aquacontroller in action... great. Aquadyne is coming out with a new controller to update the O3000, say in about 11 months. Otherwise I am planing on purchasing a AQII in a few months.

theringnebula

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Percula:

I had heard that Aquadyne was no longer continuing the Octopus line at all. Where did you here about this new one coming out.

Mustang:

I bought the AquaContoller II and like it a lot. I also reasearched both and kept hearing bad things about the Octopus being buggy and such so I went with the AQII and don't regret it.

Reeffreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked around about these controllers as well. I had several different vendors tell me not to waste my time with the Octopus, because the AQII was a much better product.

So when I find the money, I will be purchasing the AQII.

Steve

C. Alan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own an Octopus 3000, I hope that rumor about new soft ware coming out for the unit is true. If I had to do it again, I would purchase the AQII.
--C. Alan

percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw an ad in fama say four months back asking for suggestions. A few weeks ago I emailed them and they said it would be out in less than a year.

Odd Ball

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LONG:
I own the Neptune unit - aqua controller II.

The short version is: It's good.

However, the long story is:
Cost, Cost, and more Cost.

A word of caution: Know what you want to monitor, then see if the unit is right for you. Here is why:

1. The base unit is rather pricy. Ok, I can deal with that. Now, what do you want to monitor? pH, ORP, Temp? If so, you need the probes. Yes, there are kits available, and I'd recommend you start with one of those first. That is what I monitor - pH, ORP, and Temp.

2. If you want to be a complete nerd and connect it to your computer - you will need:
A. A Ground Isolator Cable
B. A Cable (or maybe make one yourself)
C. Software

3. X10 modules. Radio Shack sells them. Again, depending on what you monitor you may only need 1 or 10. I use one for my heater (safety measure), lights (vho, and MH), Fan (blows in canopy), and 2 power heads (wave maker).

As you may now be able to see, it is going to run you more than 300 bucks I'd wager. Not that that is a ton of money, but as you start putting it together, it adds up...Unit, 15 bucks for a cable, 10 bucks or so per X10 unit, 50 bucks ground isolator cable, 100 bucks software,
icon_eek.gif

I've had mine now for over 8 months. I've had the PC board go out twice now. Both times I talked to Curt @ Neptune and he's provided good support. I had to ship the unit back (fed ex @ 26 bucks a shot) and they'd fix it in a day, then ship it back. Over all, good support. My only grip would be the 50 bucks I've spent in shipping for a unit less than 2 months old (at the time of failure)... (they could at least split the cost of the pc cable or isolator dealie).

Pros:
Does everything
Easy to use

Cons:
- Price
- Programming (I wanted to do something it couldn't)

I'll always own a controller now. They save me some time which I can spend elsewhere...

Hope this helps.
oddball

leclaire

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree with you too Oddball. The costs can add up over time.

However, If you add up all the functions the controller does, it pays off in the long run I believe (at least that's what I told my wife when I bought it
icon_smile.gif

I've had my Aquacontroller now for about 2 years and I have had no major problems. It works great for the most part. Ocassionally I've had a few missfires on the timers. For instance, waking up one night and seeing the tank light coming from the living room 3 hours after the main light went off. But it usually rights itself.

The computer software they sell for 100 bucks really isn't worth it. However it is easier to program the unit. The real kicker is that ground loop isolater they sell for for 45 bucks. Ya got to have it if you're connect to your computer for any length of time.

Hope this helps.

Lawrence

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: