Moty

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to upgrade my reef from 55G to 300G and I saw the Nature’s Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite at my lfs (http://www.naturesocean.com)
Here in Israel it's expensive (cost about $50 for 20 lb).
So I was wondering if anyone has used it for DSB and what was the results during cycling and afterwards?

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it's the same product as sold here in the States, I used it for the DSB in my refugium because I wanted to shorten the time it takes to get an effective bed versus using dead sand. It worked well for me. And I like the grain size and color also. My experience only.

Of course I also added a detrivore kit to get larger (non-bacteria) fauna into the bed.

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: 2poor2reef ]

Moty

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's 2poor2reef
I think I'll go with it had to if it works like Nature’s Ocean says. WE have here the same product.

Moty

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's 2poor2reef
I think I'll go with it I had to know if it works like Nature’s Ocean says. We have here the same product.
Did you mixed it with dead sand?

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't mix with regular sand only because it was a relatively small refugium and I didn't need more than 1 bag. If I was setting up a larger bed I would have mixed it due to the price. But that's just me.

bowfront

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using it in my tank and really like it. Nice color and grain size and absoluetly will not cloud your water when added to a new or established system. BTW, it retails for about $32/20 lb. bag in the U.S.

tomocean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used a bag of it to layer on top of some much smaller grain aragonite sand. I don't think I would use it as the main portion of my sandbed because the grains are a bit large. It helped prevent the fine sand blowing around and I'm sure the bacteria infusion helped my tank cycle in about two weeks!

24Tom

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it twice. One in a ten gallon and another time in a 30. In the ten it was the only sand I added. The tank cycled in 5 days. in the 30 I used one bag with 40 lbs of Southdown sand. The live rock that I added to the thirty smelled horrible yet the tank cycled in a week. In one day the tank didn't smell. I am sure it would have been much worse without the live sand. I am sure my rock is much better off since I used the sand.

Moty

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought i would mix it with smaller grain aragonite because I'll need about 300 lb so I wanted to save some money and get grains smaller than .5mm for the DSB

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: