Spikehs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I was just wondering what your stories/thoughts etc were on this fish. It is one of my favorite fish right now, but might not be that way if continuing harvesting trends continue. i bought mine wild, but i am trying to breed them, so i can sell them to stores captive raised. So any info on breeding success/failures, or stories, anything just related to the banggai would be appreciated. Thanks

Spikehs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Drewman,

When you get a video of the "dance" can you post a link for it on this board? i would love to see it as i am anxiously waiting for my cardinals to start breeding...Thanks

Drewman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spikehs:
<STRONG>Hey Drewman,

When you get a video of the "dance" can you post a link for it on this board? i would love to see it as i am anxiously waiting for my cardinals to start breeding...Thanks</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, I'll let you all know
icon_smile.gif

Grandczar

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read about sexing these fish but find it near impossible to do. Anyone have any tips.? I did my best and picked both from a group of about 8. Looked for the squared off jaw and elongated dorsal but still ended up with 2 males. This i know cause unfortunetly the larger one picked on the smaller one unforgivingly. If anyone can shed some light on this mystery pls do....
Does anyone one know roughly what percentage of the offspring usually become male/female?
Could it be that we are see'n mostly males in our lFS?
IF you have an established male is it very difficult to introduce a female?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8mm video of "The Dance" but I don;t know how to convert it to digital format. Anyone have any suggestions? software or hardware that is needed?

MontanaRocknReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Grandczar! I bought 2 banggai cardinal fish two days ago and they are beautiful fish.
I have one that is alot larger than the other one and they do not fight. The smaller one has a longer first dorsal fin than the larger one. They say the male is usually larger than the female.
Of coarse I could have 2 females and they won't fight and they say you could have to males(1 large, 1 small) but when the smaller one comes to sexual maturity they will fight. I can only hope they will pair up. Johnny
icon_biggrin.gif

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: MontanaRocknReefer ]

FMarini

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi:
These are fantastic fish, and I am really glad that people are finally catching on to how easy they are to bred and how much work the babies are to raise(but worth every second of your time). My original article on How-to was written in july of 1996, and its still useful today. i can only hope that they put this fish under CITES protection, and stop all importation of these fish

Best yet, many people now write me w/ success stories instead of problems a huge turnaround.

If you want to read more info on how-to raise and bred these fish http://www.eparc.com/banggai/banggai.shtml

Sexing using the second dorsal fin is not accurate...
keep on banggai banggin
frank
PS if you go to "the breeding section" of www.reefcentral.com and search for banggai you'll find 100+ threads on info and how-tos

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3 BG's in my 180. 1 female 2 males. They've got lots of hiding space, and they are constantly breeding. The only successful batch I've had is when both males had mouthfuls of eggs. There were 15 babies, 5 of which were transferred to my refugium, 5 found their own hiding places in the tank which I couldn't get to and 5 I only had a brief glimpse of before they were eaten by other inhabitants. Only the 5 in the refugium are still surviving, and I've only fed them artemia, rotifiers and a product called plancto from aqualine. The only goodies that I saw them eating were the pods hiding in the hair algae and on the LR. They're now eating frozen brine and mysis. They were born about 6 weeks ago. My LFS really wants them, now. Don't know yet what I want in trade.

Mitch

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: Carpentersreef ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: