• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

yznhmr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i have 200 lbs of SD sand( bought last month) and just ordered 20 lbs of live sand from http://www.harboraquatics.com/
and some of their "MUD" which i am getting all of this next week, so here is my question...
I want to take 2 40 gal tubs and dump 100 lbs sand in each, and add water from a water change to each container, then dump 10 lbs of live sand and some mud in each, and a couple scoops of sand from my refugiom in each and add a power head with a air stone to each tub, ( by the way all this is in preperation for my 120 gal going up at the end of august, im putting all that i can fit of this total 220lbs of sand (once its live,in the new tank))anyways, i need to add some sort of lighting, i have a couple outdoors spotlight holders, thought i might hang a lg spot light over each tub , does any one think this will be enough? how many watt light? do i need a grow light or just a regular spot bulb... also how deep does the water have to be over the sand?, can it be shallow and just put in a couple lg airstones? or do i have to have powerheads in them? i would rather keep the water only a few inches above the sand an throw a couple lg airstones in each..
thx in advance
icon_razz.gif

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi yznhmr, just thought I would throw this out to think about. The sand bed critters will only live in the top 2" or so of sand because of oxygen requirements. Now, how do you get the sand out of the containers and not bury what could be a large % of them to deep. Maybe they can find their way to the top before they suffocate, I am not sure.
Steve

yznhmr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
damnhippo ..these are tubs to prepare my SD sand for going in my new main tank( 120 aga), the sand will only be in there for a few weeks to get the bacteria going and some live critters..
Power head or no power head?
Will a Large airstone in each tub be enough?
How much light, and what type, im not growing macros, just what ever comes in in the live sand im adding to my SD sand..
any one else ?
icon_confused.gif

Bobzarry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold off on the delivery of live sand and mud till you get the tank. You could put the SD in the tub to give it a head start with a bit of frozen food or a piece of shrimp. Use a power head that can airate the water and provide circulation. Once you get the tank put the sand in and the mud and live sand on top. This way you wont be killing off any of your critters buy burring them. Your live rock will also provide life for your sand. this way youl maximize what your paying for.

Just my 2¢ Bob

yznhmr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx bob, mabey ill just put 50 lbs of the SD spread thin in a tub then add the 20 lbs of live and let that get going good, the put the other 150 lbs in a tub with water change water only to let the bacteria adhear to the sand so it wont cloud so bad when i fill the tank , then put the 150 lbs in first then add the SD/ live sand combo on top of the 15o lbs.. and opinions..? how much light will i need over the sd/live tub?

Bobzarry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like it will work. I dont think youl need to worry about light. in fact the micro fauna in your sand for the most part like the dark.... just dont forget to feed them. a pinch of flake finely ground between your fingers should be fine.

yznhmr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you think a air pump with a couple bubbler strips would work or should i use a powerhead? no light at all...huh..well that makes it easier..

Bobzarry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure of the size of the tub your using. In a small tub an airstone might be enough. but a powerhead with venturi line atached would take care of both air and circulation and they are fairly inexpensive........why take a chance?

Bob

yznhmr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just trying to figure out how to mount the ph in the tub.. dont think the suction cups will work.. i have like a 6" airstone thought it would be easier, i guess im just not thinking..lol

Bobzarry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some powerheads come with a hanger type atachment that hangs on the lip of the tank as well as the suction cups..maybe someone else here knows a specific brand? Anyhow if your the slitest bit handy one could easyly be made by taking a piece of plastic such as that used for the cover of a cd jewel case and by using heat ( a cigerette lighter works well) you can make a bend in it to hang over the edge of the tub. Then you could suction the powerhead onto to the plastic
icon_smile.gif

Bob

yznhmr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes im handy.. i could make something, i just wanted to have like only 2-3 " of water above the top of the sand, didnt want to have a FULL tub like a full 30-40 gal of water, i can make a hanger
icon_razz.gif
vc tube and a heating torch, i for got i didnt want that deep of water was my excuse..lol
sorry my brain is foggy this morning.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend keep the sand depth at a maximum of 6". I have a refugium with 10" depth and does not see any life beyond the first 5". The deepest sign of activities are the micro worms that crawled between the sand and the glass. I do not know how much sand in a 40G tub makes about 6" though.

How much light depend on what you want to grow in your refugium. HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: