Hammer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I found one that supposedly works good underwater.
Here is what they say.
"Sub-Lux by More is a linear and directional light intensity probe meter. It is capable of measuring lux/foot-candle, and the amount of light each specific area receives. The Sub-Lux is calibrated to a 5000k bulb. The collapsable probe can be submerged under water while the connected meter is hand held. This is a very accurate way of adjusting specific coral specimens to their varying lighting requirements.
22200 Sub-Lux Light Meter. $ 79.40 "

Found it here, at the bottom of the page.
http://www.aquaticwarehouse.com/lights.html

Not bad. Anyone try this unit?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer, yes, that is the unit we use. Very easy to use, read, etc. Doesn't look like the most durable thing though...I doubt it would live through a drop. But, other than that, I'd recommend it. I doubt you'll find a better unit for the price, I know I haven't.

Hammer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the only place that sells this unit?
It sounds like the low price means not physically sturdy. But as long as it works, and keeps working, I can just be 'extra careful'.

And I know there have been a number of threads on lighting, but is there a good resource to find typical light parameters for different corals and such? Or do I just have to figure out what depth the coral usually lives at, and go from there?

Appreciate the advice!

Hammer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it seems that enough people have these. And that is great. But what I want one for is for two reasons. First, I would like to test all my lights when new, and then maintain a monthly schedule of checking the parameters of the lights. Seems to me that it would be the best way to tell when the bulbs are starting to break down. It will also tell me what I can expect from different lights.
The second major thing I want is to test the light levels in the tank at different levels and areas. This would accomplish a lot of things. First I could tell how much light a particular coral is getting, and if I move it, I know what the lighting changes are going to be. Seems a great way to map out growth rates as well. This also has a minor benifit of telling me if my water quality is getting a little low when the readings change for the same area.

So, will I be breaking the bank with something like this? Who sells these things at a fair price? Who makes a good product? And what should I look for?
Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: