• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

edwarder

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank is going though algae blooms. I have some snails and hermits in the tank. Can/Should I add any algae eating fish to the tank? I have about 15 snails and 10 hermits in a 55gallon. Do i need to add more? The hair algae is running wild!

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's info we need to help you alleviate your algae problems:

1. What are your nutrient inputs?
A. Water used for top-off?
B. Water changed with?
C. Additives and feedings?
2. What are your nutrient exports?
A. Filtration? (skimmer/carbon/?)
3. How is your biological setup?
A. Number and type of fishes?
B. Live rock & sandbed description?
C. Inclusion of macroalgae, sponges, etc.?
4. General info.
A. How old is the tank?
B. What other organisms do you keep?

These would greatly assist us in assiting you.

edwarder

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking an interest! My tank is 55 gal with a sandbed/plenum, 50 lbs of LR,ETS reef devil, 4X 55 watt PC running 12hr/day. The tank ran for a month with no life in it. I just added the cured LR and the lights about two weeks ago. Initially there was a bloom of diatoms. Now there is green filamentous algae growing on the sand, the glass and the LR. I cut off the lights and added carbon approx 5 days ago. The skimmer still is not pulling anything out of the tank. i think that I have to elevate it in the sump. As far as critters go I added 20 snail and 10 hermits about a week after I added the rock. Some of them seem to be doing well while others have dropped dead over the last few days. Temp is 79, Nitrate < 10, Ammonia undetectable, pH 8.2.I use RO/DI water. I have successfully maintained several FO marine tanks but this is my first attempt at a reef tank. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: edwarder ]

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ed,

It's natural. I'd let the tank run its course. The algae bloom is most likely caused by the addition of the "cured" live rock. Whenever you buy live rock through mail order - even if sold as "cured" - the rock will experience a die-off process; shipping is very traumatic. The decaying matter from your newly introduced LR is causing the bloom.

I'd suggest you do small incremental water changes (10%) every week for 4-8 weeks. This will dilute the nutrient levels introduced by the LR. Make sure the replacement and top-off water are R/O. Your skimmer should be working at this point, so I'd consider readjusting it.

Add fishes preferably after this period. Now would be ok, but waiting is always prudent.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: