fish farmer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I don't post here often, but I just finished hauling my 55g FOWLR/DSB due to a move. My maroon clown has been fanning the sand for the last year I've had the DSB. I was using a turkey baster to try to get most of the sediment off, but it's getting to be quite a hassle.

I did a search and read about putting egg crate between the sand and rocks, but after moving everything and getting all the sand and rocks back in, I'd rather not have to shift stuff around again. Are there any snails that would graze the rocks to remove some of the sand or should I go ahead and redecorate w/egg crate or something similar?

I put a bunch of smaller LR frags in front of her "home" (a whelk shell) where she does most of the "redecorating" and hope this will help. Is there anyone out there who's had this same problem and fixed it?

TIA for any help/advice anyone can give!!
icon_biggrin.gif

scavdog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After getting my 1st maroon 3 months ago I experienced the same activity. He kicked the heck out of the sand bed... So much so that he covered my Platygyra maze brain causing it to partially die back.
Recently I added a new show sized piece of rock to the tank, basically re-arranging the layout of the tank. So far he hasnt messed with the bed. I guess I did a better interior decorating job this time
icon_biggrin.gif

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They love to dig, and they wll do it once they get settled. By adding that new rock you have only disturbed him, once he gets used to his surroundings again the digging will resume. They usually dig the pit infront of the Anemonie if they have one so that they can breed, all be it in anticipation of breeding. Its extreemly comical how they dig but unfortuneately the corals fail to see the funny side. IMO clowns are a bad idea.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have something for your clowns to rub its body in (besides the sand)? It irritates some soft corals, but there are quite a few things that can get used to it, depending on what you want to try
icon_smile.gif

raptor1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish do this to kick up food stuff out of the sand.I have 2-ocellaris clowns,they do the same thing.

Smthnfishy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Becareful, I had a similar experience happen that almost wiped out all of my sps, The sulfur build up in a dsb is dangerous and must NOT be stirred. Just a little heads up. I'm not the only one this has happened to either
Erik

fish farmer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info.

As I stated, I just moved the entire tank, so I had no choice in rearranging everything. I don't have any corals, just don't like looking at sediment build-up on the rock/plants, etc. Just wondering if anyone has a solution for clearing sediment off the rocks other than using a turkey baster. Snails? Stronger powerheads? Anything???

I know she's fanning the sand to "build a nest," I've had her for ~5yrs. now, but have only had the DSB 1yr.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it.

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: fish farmer ]

bgdiving

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish farmer
Move the welk shell higher in the tank up in the rock work well up off the bottom of the tank but not all the way to the surface. Make sure it's secure so they don't move it around while cleaning. She'll clean and fan the rocks around her nest but should leave your sand alone. Hope this helps.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: