A

Anonymous

I take back one thing I said above... fish dont "produce" nutrients per say. Randy, you are absolutely correct there. They use some for growth (thereby becoming a sink) and process the rest as their waste which is then returned to the system. ok, gotcha. (had to think that one through a bit more
smile.gif
) My bad, that point flew over my head and made me go circular making lots of nonsensical statements.
biggrin.gif

But of course all that misunderstanding dont mean crap in the context of the topic: supplementation of iodine.

And in a way, Randy you are supporting Shimek's stance that sufficient Iodine may enter the system via food. But as Craig B has pointed out, Ron has not specified through what chemical pathways the iodine may be absorbed by. So we still dont know much about how I is used if at all. But, logically the addition of food rich in I would be enough to keep the cycle of it (just like N and P cycle) going. You follow that?!?!
wink.gif

Hehe...good discussion tho. Glad we arent flamin.

------------------
Dan
Minotaur15 on #reefs http://www.tcnj.edu/~maughme2/

[This message has been edited by Minotaur15 (edited 17 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

I guess that I agree with both Craig's and Ron's viewpoints.

Clearly, enough iodine (if it is actually necessary) can enter tanks via pathways other than supplementation to allow certain specific organisms to thrive. Xenia for example. That doesn't mean that it always does, but in at least some tanks it does.

However, one of Craig's points is that there are many more organisms in a healthy reef tank than the few that we readily monitor. It's not known whether any or all of these get adequate iodine when levels are below NSW values (which may be the norm when supplements are not used).

I'd throw one of Ron's own arguments back at him: we maintain NSW levels of many things (salinity, temperature, etc.). Why would we elect to not do so for one particular nutrient (I-)?????

------------------
Randy Holmes-Farley

A

Anonymous

C-balance has iodide in it. I belive your tank needs it ,it just comes from so many other sources w/c, feedings, that's why adding it directly isn't important? Read this months AFM , Charles Delbeek says it confuses him so he just adds it? go figure that out?

A

Anonymous

just another one for the stats:
my xenias went from 4 stalks 6 months ago to over 50 stalks (have also sold quite a few frags). i've only added a total of about 2 tbsp. of kent iodine during this time and have not added any in the past 3 months.
so, IME, adding supplemental iodine is not neccessary
smile.gif

------------------
have a nice day
max spl

come and visit my page:
Reeftopia

A

Anonymous

To the root of the matter...

Who/how/where did the idea of Iodine come sbout? Who first suggested it and why?

Any old timers?
wink.gif

-Christopher

p.s. great discussion =)

A

Anonymous

Here is my observation on iodine and Xenia.

I use to dose iodine as part of a complete additive. My Xenia grew like weeds and I gave it away and threw it away. 6 months ago, I stopped all chemical additions except for C-balance and I am still having to constantly prune the Xenia.

Based on this admittedly weak (but at least based on actual observation) evidence, I think that supplemental iodine addition is not critical to the livelihood of Xenia despite all the hype.

In addition, there have been some reports in FAMA of Lugol's solution being actually detrimental to Xenia.

Heck, I remember when the experts said I had to use bio-balls in my sump to have a successful reef, and now I find out they are a terrible nitrate factory. My tank had 0 nitrates with them in place and have 0 now that I removed them. Perhaps I missed something....

Anybody want some Xenia?

--- Ken

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure of the origin, but it is certainly recommended rather heavily by Delbeek and Sprung (TRA Vols. 1 & 2) who suggest that many species including mushrooms and even clams benefit. I am curious but so far have never put any in by any artificial means. Some people have said (here) that I- at higher concentrations than natural sea water is actually toxic to some crustaceans.

Phosphorus only needs two o's btw.

[This message has been edited by flounder (edited 19 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

I read and I don't have the referance material handy but adding iodide causes crustasions to molt more often to rid itself of the iodide. (poison)I was a firm beliver of adding iodide ,Lugols, Kents any form but after reading that I quit dosing . My crustations don't molt as often, not monthly min. like before ,but every couple months. And my corals have the same growth. So is this good or bad?

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all who participated in this discussion. I have suspended iodide additions and will let you know what happens. Hopefully, my xenia will get enough iodine from food, water changes, etc. and my dictyota growth will slow down to a manageable level.
Thanks again.
tom

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: