A

Anonymous

I have recently had to move a 55 g twice for a short term. One consideration is what livestock do you have and how fragile they are. Some concerns are the stress on the fish which could cause an outbreak of ich and/or death. I would think about using this as an incentive to consider going up to a larger tank and setting this up after the final move to the unknown destination.

A

Anonymous

I once had to move twice within a year. At the time, I had a FO with aggressive, hardy fish. However, the move was for over 750 miles, and I didn't think there was a good chance of everything making it.

So I did this: I sold my livestock to a LFS and kept all the equipment. In the process of both moves though, the 75-gallon broke. Now that I'm permanently planted, I bought a complete setup from a classified ad that was placed by a guy who was....moving.

Bottom line: depending on the type of your livestock and how far you have to go, moving a tank is risky and stressful for you and the fish. Giving your tank an intermediate surrogate mother may work out, but you have to weigh the risks appropriately

A

Anonymous

I recently landed a job after I graduate that requires me to move to Detroit for 3-6 months and then relocating to an unknown destination. This raises a question regarding my 75 gallon tank. I can either take it with me and move it again when I move, or I can set it up at my parents house until I "land" somewhere a little more permanent. Option one requires me to move the tank 500 miles, then tear it down and move it to who knows where at about the time everything gets back to normal. Option 2 requires me to educate my mom on the finer points of keeping a SW tank (she doesn't think it can be much harder than the 20 gallon hex she had when I was 4). Has anyone had to deal with a short term move, and if so, what did you do with your tank? Thanks for any advise/suggestions.

A

Anonymous

Kevin,

I feel your pain. I moved a couple of weeks ago into a short term, maybe longer term position. I couldn't leave my mostly-corals reef at home, and I had no room to keep it where I'm presently at. Fortunately, my brother keeps reef tanks (and breeds cichlids), and he was more than willing to take both my reef and my cuttings/refugium tank. It was only a 200 mile move, and we did it in one day. He's only 100 miles away from me now, so I can get down there to work on things if need be.

After things become more permanent, I plan on fetching it. Good luck with it!

Scott

A

Anonymous

I don't know but I would take the tank with me. I wouldn't saddle the clowns on mom's doorstep.

A

Anonymous

Right now the only occupants are a yellow tang and a yellow tailed damsel. There is also the usual group of snails and crabs. I think I will sell the fish, and move the aquarium home. That will take the risk of killing my fish off of my parents, and mabey encourage them to learn more since watching rock gets kind of boring.

A

Anonymous

Kevin.
I moved my tank last week, 70 miles. Albiet, no where near how far you will have to move your tank, should you decide to do so. I will only be at this location for a year. This is only after I had my (completely non salt water experienced) parents taking care of my tank for a couple months.

First, the livestock I have or had at the time were a magenta pseudo, a true perc, a cleaner shrimp and a serpent star with assorted crabs and snails. No corals. I think I would have been much less willing to leave the tank, or move the tank had I had a full complement of SPS or LPS.

Anyhow, during the two month stint with my parents, the tank did relatively ok. I didn't make the folks do any additives, only basic feedings. The tank wound up having a serious algae problem post parents. ie: when I returned. But all the livestock fared fine.

The move was less successful. I heard about high mortaility rates, but for some reason I though I would get past them. One tip, remember you are moving in subzero temperatures. This means that somehow you must stabilize the temperature of the water you are holding your livestock in. I think this is what got my guys. Post-move, my cleaner shrimp died and so did my pseudo. This tank is having some serious destabilization problems right now, but I figure hopefully it will balance out.

I hope this helps. I will probably have to go through this again in six months.

Jenny

A

Anonymous

Kevin,

Moving a tank is stressful, but it can be done without any losses and things settle down again. And as you are spending 6 months in the location, I think that might be the better option. Would you trust someone else with your tank for that long, to look after it as you do? It will be difficult to move the tank, but I think you might regret it if you don't. Just think how much you will miss it
wink.gif

If you didn't know, then there are two articles in the Library that talk about moving tanks.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: