A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if my set up is ok. I've got a amiracle overflow box with the plastic hose (like vacuum a vacuum hose) it drop in a 25 gals. aquarium. In the sump I've got a DAS BX-1 Protein skimmer and the return pump is a Mag-7 without the sponge. I've got baffles and it's not work real good. I bought my BX-1 and I don't now if it suppose to but there's bubble going out of it also. I'm trying to find out if I should have some sponge in the sump to prevent the bubble from returning into the aquarium.

Thank's in advance
Richard.

A

Anonymous

I do use a sponge to dissapate (spelling?) the bubbles.... FWIW

A

Anonymous

No, you don't have to have a sponge to remove the bubbles. Though it is an option. First thing to do is look at the source of the bubbles, the skimmer. See if you can adjust the tuning of the unit to reduce the number of bubbles that come out. This might include slowing down the water flow through it. Then move onto the sump, and the arrangement of the baffles to remove the bubbles. The water should flow over the top of one, so that the bubbles have a chance to leave the water. Have the flow as slow as possible, that way it gives them more time to separate. If there is still a problem, then adjust the outflow of the skimmer so that it flows out over the surface of the water. Use a flat plate of some sort, or a sponge for the water to flow onto. That should help. You can also have the water from the baffle flow down onto a sponge.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: