A

Anonymous

I'm currently setting up a small aquaculture facility that consists of two fifty-five gallon tanks and four 175watt MH lamps, using "True" 12000K bulbs. It also has a centralized filtration system (wet/dry, protein skimmer and denitrator, all of which are DIY projects).I was wondering if anyone has had success using a similar method. Any ideas or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. I left out the most curcial info... I plan on culturing SPS coral, primarily the family Acroporidae

A

Anonymous

First let me say congrats! I would love to do what you are doing. Second, isn't a 55 going to be a little difficult given the demensions? I would think something shallow (for both reaching in and less light deterioration) would be better suited. Something like a 20 long, but bigger....?

paul

A

Anonymous

keiretsu,
I must agree with paul, the 55s aren't your best choice. something wider and less deep, like the 30, 40 or 50 gal breeder would work better for you. If you really want to "grow" SPS I would recomend 400 watts instead of 175. You get netter growth and coloration from the higher output. Dump the wet/dry and get some LR filtration going. Skimmer is good and you LR should do denitration for you. Think about a Calcium reactor instead.
I have a small farm. you could check out a picture at atlantisaquatic.com/images/6tanks02.jpg

------------------
brian
atlantisaquatic.com

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info....
I checked out your set-up (envy and esteem are the first words that comes to mind). What are the dimensions of the breeder tanks? Where were they purchased (although I'll probably just build them myself)? Are those all 400watt MH's supplying the lighting, if so are they supplemented with PC or Floursent bulbs? Do you use additives in your grow out tank(s)? Thanks agian!

---------------------------------------------

A

Anonymous

keiretsu,
a 30 gal breeder is 36" X 18" X 13" deep
a 40 gal breeder is 36" X 18" X 17" deep

Bought from Ocean Gallery (see my link, they can make a deal on All Glass Aquariums (local only))

I have 400 10K MH's on 5 of the 8 tanks with a 96 blue PC to supplement (SPS tanks).
the other 3 softie tanks are 3 96 watt PC's

I don't use any additives, just a calcium reactor.

------------------
brian
atlantisaquatic.com

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: