A

Anonymous

The brow "finger" leather that I have had for almost a year and has done very well recently has developed white necrotic looking areas at the bases of three of the fingers. The patches are localized but the figer seems ti be separating. It otherwise looks healthy and is extending it's feeding polyps, even on the affected fingers.
I took a scalpel and excised the most affected finger. I just set him into a crevice in the rock.

Any ideas?

A

Anonymous

were these areas against any rocks for a while or any thing?

A

Anonymous

No, it is right out in the open. There is a nice current (wave strip mediated) and it is about midlevel in the tank. It is a 55 gal with 220 watts vho (actinic/daylight 50/50).
Water parameters are good.

A

Anonymous

Could be "white band" disease...is there any brown mucous as well? If so, you might try a fresh water dip for 15 seconds which will wipe out the bacteria but not hurt your coral. (See Sprung and Deebek vol 2)

------------------
Charter members of Aquarists Anonymous

A

Anonymous

It isn't in the middle of your aptasia farm by any chance is it?

smile.gif

I'm serious though.

A

Anonymous

Does the freshwater dip have to be the same pH? Im sure the temp needs to be the same but what about pH?

Ken

A

Anonymous

Mike and Donna: no brown slime to be seen.

Mfisher: No aiptasia near it and no stinging corals next to it either.

I do have a gonipora at the other end of the tank (I bought it before I knew how doomed they are in the home aquaria-- will not buy another) that is dying and has some of the brown slime bacteria but none of this on the leather. I have been reluctant to remove the gonipora b/c it is still clinging to life. I suppose I probably should though.

On aqualink someone suggested that this might be a reproductive function. Do leathers propogate by "self fragging?" I know that some sps corals do this.

A

Anonymous

Yep, leathers will self frag and this is what ours looked like when it did it. One of the frags fell behind the LR and rested down there for 3 months or so until the wife found it attached to a rock, clinging to life. It was perhaps a cm across when I put it in my 30 gallon lit by 2 X 175 watt MH five months ago; it is now a good 10 cm.
Hand out the cigars, you're a daddy!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
My drug habit cost less, but reef colors are better!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: