Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2003, 05:17 PM
NYAQUARIA
Send a Private Message
As of 10/31/03 U.S. Fish and wildlife has ban all imports from FIJI including live rock. We don't know how long it will last. It is due to the Fiji goverment's failure to comply with the new regulations set by CITIES. I will keep everyone up to date upon any changes.

Sal.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:31 PM
stealyourhouse
Send a Private Message
I read a post by Walt Smith at reefcentral saying that the ban was a result of extreme incompetence, and now that somebody else is in charge, the ban shouldn't last long.

And since I'm one of those captive bred only guys, I think a ban on coral imports might be a good thing.

[ November 05, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: stealyourhouse ]
Old 11-06-2003, 09:43 AM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I hope the ban doesn't last long. But,as with other things once the goverment gets involved it's never easy to back. IT'S NOT A GOOD THING!!
Other than Sal's place and a few hobbist's in our area.I don't see much support for aquacultured coral. I see a lot of the frags for sale still in the tanks when I visit the local shops and the wild collected colonies selling more. This should be a wake up call for us. I feel it's only the start and we need to support the aquaculture efforts more and express our concerns to the LFS that we want to see more frags and aquaculture.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:05 AM
Reefer Ratings: (20 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Next we'll see:

Rare Fiji Corals & Fiji Live Rock for Sale!

Let's hope this doesn't give the vendors an excuse to start raising prices for corals & rock from Fiji!
Old 11-06-2003, 11:18 PM
iceman716238
Send a Private Message
Honestly, if this ban does last, it is only right to raise prices of fiji rock and corals.