• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhb

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a flower pot goniopora that was great when I got it in April, but won't extend now. I had a bout with red slime in July and that's when it went into seclusion. I treated the tank with chemi-clean 2x and after no change treated the g. to 2 iodine dips 1 per day. It emerged only 1". This week I treated the tank for red slime again, but it only wants to come out 1". What can I do?Also, I've been doing weekly water changes and my parameters are fine. I've got 4- 50/50 VHO lights on it and it's slightly to the left of the powerhead. Help ! :(

Palmetto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(sigh)

Unfortunately, this is what almost every green or yellow Goniopora does after a short period of time in captivity, with rare exceptions.

The pink and red species, as well as some branching types seem to fare much better.

This is one coral that has such a horrible captive survival rate that it really should be left in the wild.

This is also another reason to research a coral BEFORE purchasing it. I am not flaming you, I still have the skeleton of my first Goni- so I was just as guilty of the same mistake at one time.

Do a search on Goniopora or FlowerPot coral, and you will find hundreds of people with the same experience. Sometimes they last a month, or 6, or over a year, but almost all eventually stop coming out until they die.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you treating your tank with Chemi-pure or Chemi-clean? Don't know about the latter, but I hope it's not an antibiotic.

I've had a encrusting goniopora that comes out of nowhere from a LR. It did well for over a year then died for reason that even myself are puzzled. I am glad the one I had is not purchased from LFS, but still, it's a pity that it does not thrive when I thought it has gone past the 1 year limit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: