fishguttz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photos to come next week.

I have one piece of live rock and one Astrea snail. Question: I have a small buildup of grey rice shaped thingies on the rock in on area the size of pinky nail. Is this snail poop or something else?

1.025 Salinity. 77 temp. Actinic + 8000k 9w. foam bubble filter intank.

can anyone put together a sample pack of hardy corals? very small pieces.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i love pico reefs! wish I could put one on my desk at work... someday when I work out of home (fingers crossed) I am building a small tank like that.

Lots of picos over at nano-reef, some look amazing... one guy even keeps his to scale... meaning he removes the corals once they get larger than the scale of the tank (so shrooms get removed after they read 1/2 inch or so. The tank looks like a large tank, only shrunk down in size!

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
You by any chance in Brooklyn? I have one in my cafe too. Come and check it out. Currently I am using two flourescent light plus a 20W Halogen spot on the counter HAHAHAHHAHA

Cycle completes in 10 days, 2 weeks running with 3 frags from my other tanks. 1 snail(worrying about it having no food-so far zero algae), at least 1 bristle star(this one is especially hardy-no matter what you do, it does not die-others I found in the sump die quite easily when I take macros out)
I even have a DSB believe or not. Cheatos(bad choice-but no time to select one that's good for this case) are used to cover the DSB and a tiny powerhead.

Pics to follow soon

Last edited:

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
:p

Attachments

• pointlesswithoutpics1.jpg
    pointlesswithoutpics1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 260
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Hey where are your pics?

Here are some of mine

Pic (1) - Change to LED now, 4.6W Optimized by Wingo with reflector at the back to see if it looks comtempory

PIC(2) - Close UP shoot under 4.6W LED

Attachments

• 2.5G under 4.6W Wingo Optimized LED Lighting without Actinics P1020679 copy.jpg
    2.5G under 4.6W Wingo Optimized LED Lighting without Actinics P1020679 copy.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 2.5G under 4.6W Wingo Optimized LED Lighting without Actinics with Different Background Color P10206
    769.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Close Up Shots Under 4.6W LED in the Tank P1020681 copy.jpg
    Close Up Shots Under 4.6W LED in the Tank P1020681 copy.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i dont think your dsb is going to be that effective given the surface area is limited by the top area of the poland spring bottle. althought it's better than none at all.
y do u think cheatos is a bad choice for macro algea?

fishguttz

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I promise pix tomorrow. I'm not sure I understand how that water bottle full of sand helps your tank? please explain? I'd like to have a pair of oceanops in the tank. possible? I'm glad to hear cycle is ten days. mines been up ten days.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I'm not sure I understand how that water bottle full of sand helps your tank? please explain?

Ok, if you still not sure how the water bottle works after reading Anthony's thread. Let see if you can understand this:

1)DSB works to reduce nitrate by de-nitrification
2)In order to have de-nitrification, we need bacterica that does that.
3)De-nitrifiying bacteria likes to live in area where oxgen is scarce but not completely zero. (Read the theory behind Monaco System)
4)Sandbed at a certain depth will become good environment for the de-nitrifying bacteria as the oxygen is scarer proportional to the depth(from the sand surface downward) of the sand.
5)To make sure there isn't too much oxygen in a DSB, water should not flow thru into the lower part of the sand bed.
6)Diffusion of water will give a suitable flow.
7)With a bottle, water moving within the bottle is supressed and thus creating an area scarce of oxygen.
8)Powerhead on top of the bottle but not directly sucking water from/thru the bottle creates lateral movement of new water to exhcnage with water filtered by the DSB.

Obeservations:
a)There are bubbles created within the bottle but unfortunately I have no means to collect the gas generated to prove if it's N2 or other gases.

b)Nitrate is stable at "0". However, I did not add new food/live stock to the system, so "0" nitrate may not mean the DSB is working.

c)Will add some bioload soon to see if the filtration is cycled/built properly. Just change my mind to use nitrate water, 100 ppm, I kept in another testing tank.

BTW, most tanks' cycle take 3 to 6 weeks, depending on your execution of the procedures. I just got lucky.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
i dont think your dsb is going to be that effective given the surface area is limited by the top area of the poland spring bottle. althought it's better than none at all.
Agreed. But as I want water volume, I have to balance the trade off.
y do u think cheatos is a bad choice for macro algea?
In this case, I have pico tank, pico powerhead, no room to add a sperate refugium nor wanna to, it become a bad choice because some of them will come apart and get stuck in the powerhead. I have some bigger macro which will not fall apart the cheatos. My powerhead is already a pico size one-any obstacle could mean big performance downgrade. Check my first pic showing the under side of the powerhead, you find small pcs of cheatos.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: