Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any references anywhere. Invert lifespan is particularly difficult to assess, especially colonial inverts. Clams and anemones have been reported to grwo to hundreds of years old, but nothing has been substantiated as far as I know. I know fish can easily live for 20-30 years; there are cative reef fish that have lived this long, from angels to anemonefish.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len wrote:

Clams and anemones have been reported to grwo to hundreds of years old,

Damn. I didn't know I needed to make provisions for my T. Gigas in my will.

Off to the attorney's office. ;)

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There used to be a Site a few years ago but I've since lost the link.
Most studies are done by public aquariums and can be skewed
Some saltwater species only live an average of 3 to 5 years. Some of these would be butterflyfish, mandarins, Moorish Idols, gobies, blennies, wrasses, damselfish, squirrelfish, triggerfish, surgeonfish and tangs.
A few of the more hardy species can live up to and over 10 years, including lionfish, clownfish, eels and groupers. There are many varieties of angelfish and some can live quite a long time. Holacanthus, Pomacanthus and Chaetodontoplus species can live up to 20 plus years.
After saying this there will be exceptions to almost every genus and species as under our care most fish should be able to have longer life expectancies than in the wild.

mario

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals and anemones are technically immortal, although eventually competition and habitat changes catches up with them.

leftovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MadamePoisson":3r7a1ym7 said:
Is there such a book or website or something that lists the life expectancy of various marine life? Maybe breaks it down for types of fish and inverts?

search on otoliths for fish...thats how their age is measured....corals lifespans are reported to be hundreds of years....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: