gatorracer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have seen lots of little baby snails around my tank since I had a bunch of big ones. But now it is getting crazy. Last night I started on one side of the tank and started counting all the snails I could see( baby ones not big ones) and got to about 80 and I wasn't even half way across the tank. Not to mention these are the ones I can see so I am sure there are probably twice that hiding in rocks and on the sides I cant see. I have a mix of mexican turbos and a ton of nassarius. I am fairly sure this not a bad thing just wanted to know if anyone has or has had similar experience with this?

Second part....

How long does it take for a snail to reach a decent size, not huge just big enough to grab with my fingers? I m sure it is hard to tell I am just wondering if I am going to have troubles with hundreds of snails in 4-5 months or if they will mostly die off before reaching a mature size.

I am happy though all those babys sure do knock out my hair algae when about a dozen of them come across some.

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gatorracer":1nz2qz2j said:
I am just wondering if I am going to have troubles with hundreds of snails in 4-5 months or if they will mostly die off before reaching a mature size.

I am happy though all those babys sure do knock out my hair algae when about a dozen of them come across some.

Thanks in advance

The snails will balance their numbers to the amount of food in the tank, if there is not enough algae to sustain them, the numbers will decline.

I would be thrilled to be in your situation. :D

Sugar Magnolia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they look like these guys?

macarene.jpg

If so those are collonista snails, not baby snails from what you have already. They hitch hike in on the LR and reproduce quite nicely in our tanks. Excellent grazers.

If that's not what you have then just ignore my yammering. :D

gatorracer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they dont look like that they have very obvious features just like the other turbos and nassarauis snail already in my tank. That does look like a couple of the "herds" that seem to move around to gether and clean rocks like no bodys buisness. I am not complaining if that is they way my original post came off I am just trying to find out if I am lucky or am soon to have a ammonia spike from 300 snails dying.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you have to worry about an ammonia spike, you won't have 300 dead overnight.

What will happen first is they will stop reproducing if there is not enough food, and those babies will gradually die if they can't get enough food. That's been my experience with snail breeding at least.

I would be thrilled to have breeding snails in my tank again! You don't live anywhere near Iowa do you? I'd would surely take some off your hands.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah well, I am clear on the other side of the state, too far to drive for snails. :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: