daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
okay, everyone - help me to ID the yellow gunk/slime growing on the silicone of my brand spanking new sump, please!!!

Pics:

Attachments

• yellow gunk on silicone close up.JPG
    yellow gunk on silicone close up.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 138
  • yellow gunk on silicone whole tank.JPG
    yellow gunk on silicone whole tank.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
it is slimy to the touch... what do i do with/about it?

I've been emptying the skimmer morning and evening - it has not dumped back into the sump at all. flow seems to be good through the sump, but i'm not a good judge of that necessarily - though if flow were not good, then the sump would be dry, i think, right? so flow must be fine in order to keep up with the return pump.

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
masterswimmer can answer the question on the silicone - i can't

actually, masterswimmer also suggested that i use lemon juice to wipe out the aptasia in my tank - inject them with a syringe... which i've been doing every few days or so... maybe this is the lemon juice solids collecting on the silicone? hmmmmm......

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Tahl, you've got a new system running (sort of new). You should expect some algae blooms over the next month or two. In addition, it appears that you've got your fuge light shining directly above the baffles (tough to tell from the pix, but it looks that way), and this could be another factor in what appears to be algae growth.

FYI, the silicone is from Perfecto and is specifically made for aquariums, both FW and SW.

swimmer

Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Yeah I've got the same thing. It's more green than yellow in your pics and mine came after introducing the cheatos. I wouldn't worry looks like algae.
I know it's off topic, but the lemon on aiptasia, you say you use it every few days..Cause for concern.. lemon is acidic. I used joe's juice, don't know if it's acidic or not but only use it once when I had about 10 branches 4 of them came back in a week. I now have a copperband and I am down to 1 which i'll probably inject with joe's to eradicate. If your in the city and you need some let me know. Just reply on pm since it's off topic.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: