• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Or should I have them spaced a foot or so apart?

These are ballasts for 150W HQI lights.

They don't get very hot, but I'm worried placing them too close together could somehow damage them? Either from the temp. or from the EM field.

Tell me I'm crazy, or not. :?

A

Anonymous

It's been well over a year and my two 150w HQI DE ballasts have never been more than 1-2" apart, even on carpeting. No problems at all.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

>...They don't get very hot, but I'm worried placing them too close together could somehow damage them? Either from the temp. or from the EM field.

Just make sure the AC that powers them are in phase with each other....
:wink:

A

Anonymous

Thank you both!

Seven, could you explain what you mean by 'in phase' ?

A

Anonymous

I was just joking. It essential mean that you want to plug them to the same powersource so that the AC has peak at the same time on both ballast. Some commerical building has different power option, so it is possible that one outlet's power is 180 degree out of phase compare to another outlet on different part of the building.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, thanks a lot.

Your advice will save me a lot on fire insurance.

:lol:

Seven, ya tricked me again. :oops:

Let's say, for fun, that the two ballasts were out of phase, would that interfere with their operation? Just curious...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sit on top of each other and they are fine. Not saying that is right, just saying that is how I do it lol.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: