A

Anonymous

My reactor stopped working again but this time the maxijet feeed pump stopped and needed to be cleaned. In the past its been too much CO2 building up in the reactor or the CO2 stopping for seom reason.

I have a drip rate right now about 1 drip per second. I also have the co2 set at 1 bubble every 3 seconds or so.

Is this where I need it to be? Should I do anything different?

My levels had dropped to 7.6 DKH and 320 on the CA. I also run a Kalk reactor that does not do a good job in maintaining CA either. Ive been adding super buffer and Turbo CA to try and raise the levels back up.

A

Anonymous

One more bump here. I measured the tank and the CA reactor and Kalk reactor can not keep my tank levels stable. I only have a handfull of SPS frags and hardly any coraline.

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one can tell you if your current drip rate and bubble rate are "correct" for your setup. They should be adjusted to maintain a pH of ~ 6.5 inside the body of the reactor. The drip rate and bubble rate are directly related and can vary within a wide range as long as the pH remains stable. In general, if you find that you need to increase your Ca and alk levels, then you would increase both the drip rate and bubble rate while maintaining the same pH inside the reactor. There are limitations to the settings based upon the size of the reactor and size of the aquarium.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to measure the inside of the reactor I need to get another monitor/probe/controller?

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the media or the reactor is not using the CO2 efficently. My friend ran his Korallin using ARM media, 24/7 to meet his Ca/Alk needs @ 6 bubbles per min. Sounds strange, but no build up of C02. No controller or probes.

Can you bleed it off?

For the feed pump, I suggest running it off your main return pump. I am doing that on my setup that I am working on right now.

When I get it done, I will post some picture of what I did.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean "bleed it off"?

If I remember to clean the feed poump I think I will be alright there.

THere is always air (co2) in the top of my reactor. I have had this reactor running since March (at least) adn I have seen no reduction in the media. I am using the Gen-X Calcium reactor media.

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At the top of most reactors, there is a small hole that is sealed and when your CO2 comsumption goes down, the top of your reactor fills with CO2. You open a valve on the small hole and it allows the CO2 to be released and water to come out as well. The reactor is now fully primed with water.

CO2 build up causes your recirculating pump to loose its prime and can cause your pump to burn up.

You can add a bleeder on yours by drilling a small hole, thread the hole and put a simple RO ball valve.

Maybe this will help. Its surprising that even Deltec does not have one and cheaper models do.

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob_Reef_Keeper":1lpuf0l1 said:
So to measure the inside of the reactor I need to get another monitor/probe/controller?

If your reactor does not have the option of fitting a pH probe in the body of the unit, then you can run the effluent into a cup that overflows into your sump. Simply place the pH probe in this cup to get an approximation of the pH inside the reactor.

As far as any recommendations, such as the "6 bubbles per min" stated in this thread, they are meaningless and should be ignored. As I explained, the drip and bubble rates are set by referencing the pH inside the body of the reactor, and are influenced by the design of the reactor and type of media.

As a further example, I run my reactor at 80 bubbles per minute and my "drip" rate is approximately 7 ounces per minute. Does that help you? Of course not.

Greg

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pwj1286":yry3t7iv said:

At the top of most reactors, there is a small hole that is sealed and when your CO2 comsumption goes down, the top of your reactor fills with CO2. You open a valve on the small hole and it allows the CO2 to be released and water to come out as well. The reactor is now fully primed with water.

CO2 build up causes your recirculating pump to loose its prime and can cause your pump to burn up.

You can add a bleeder on yours by drilling a small hole, thread the hole and put a simple RO ball valve.

Maybe this will help. Its surprising that even Deltec does not have one and cheaper models do.

FYI: Deltec DOES have a CO2 collection chamber and bleed valve in EVERY one of their Ca reactors. The CO2 can be directed back into the pump to make the most efficient use of the gas. It's a recirculating design. Also, in the Deltec reactor, the intake of the recirculating pump does not draw water from the very top of the reactor, which, IMO, is an inferior and troublesome design.

Greg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spot for a PH probe on my reactor. I currently use the PH probe for my tank water. I guess I should get another one for the reactor as well.

The relief vavle is my effluent output on the Geosreef reactor. The stand is not 100% level and hte co2 builds up on one side. I have to shake the reactor a little and open the drip rate all the way up to get the excess CO2 out.

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSchiemer":2pel6wq0 said:
If your reactor does not have the option of fitting a pH probe in the body of the unit, then you can run the effluent into a cup that overflows into your sump. Simply place the pH probe in this cup to get an approximation of the pH inside the reactor.

Sweet idea!

What do you think about adding on a Prescion Marine Effluent Chamber?
Worth the buy?

I was thinking about putting my effluent into my refugium to let the macro aglae suck up the CO2.

GSchiemer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pwj1286":2qxgcdd3 said:
What do you think about adding on a Prescion Marine Effluent Chamber?
Worth the buy?

Absolutely worth buying. It will greatly increase the capacity of any Ca reactor, unless it's already a dual-chamber design.

Greg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no room for an additional chamber. Put it this way. If this reactor needs to be removed it will have to be dismantled/damaged due to the tight fit.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also actually debating on getting rid of the reactors all together. They have made no difference then when I wasn't using them.

I thought about B-Ionic path but I will forget abotu dosing that. If I get rid of the reef and go FO then I wont need any reactor/supplements.

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe that reactor is not right for you...have you thought about a differnt brand? I heard GEO and Knop are good. IMO my Korallin is good too.

B-Ionic is great. You just go to dose it. Do it while you feed your fish.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reactor should be overkill for my 58G tank with not much in it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: