trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is essentially what I did. As I said, I was stressed about it, causing me to test daily.
I am far from an old reefer. I have never had a tank crash or anything catostrophic with a reef tank. I have never really had my tank cycle per se. When I started my 15 gallon last Jan. I used LFS cured LR. After two weeks with no cycle I added cleaners. After another two weeks I added a coral. Another two weeks I added my gobie. Another two weeks I added more LR. this is essentially how I stocked this tank for three months until I built my 30 Gallon. I took everything from the 15, added more dry sand, more LFS cured LR and again no noticeable cycle. AT this time I was using Red sea test kits. When I moved into the 120 And after three days with no cycle I felt confident enough to add my stuff.
If I were in your shoes and had the tank set up For a week now with 60# of LR with no cycle. (provided the LR in the tank is already cured). I would move all of the rest of My LR to the new tank leaving the corals and fish in the old tank for a few days. Just to be safe. After a few days with still no cycle you should be safe to decorate your tank with fish and other such items. Of course that is just me. Ive done FW for 18 years and find that critters are pretty resiliant. SW critters are about the same after you get them acclimated and settled in. Ther are far more touchy during travel.
Others will probably recommend waiting the obligatory month.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you experience any ill effects when you moved the DSB from one tank to another? I have heard that disturbing said bed can have some ill effects. That is really the only part I am concerned with as I am about to go from my 46 roa 90. I am adding some established LR and 40 lbs of LS and then adding my 50lbs of LR and 45 lbs of LS from the 46. I am curious as to what will happen in the 46 with the corals and fish for a few days without all of that.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People will tell you to start a new sand bed. That's what I've heard around here. If it were me, I'd take at least the top layer of the established sand (about 1" or so). Just what I would do, though. :)

And yeah, when I set up my 75, it was similar to trido: First day, fresh water. Second day, salt went in. Third day, fixed the salinity to 1.025. Fourth day, dry sand and "live sand" went in. Fifth day, fully cured live rock went in. I started testing on the 6th or 7th day. After the 10th day, I still had no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate, so I added some fish. Waited about a week, still no amm, trite, or trate. I then went to stock my tank, spacing it all out. If I had a cycle, it had to have been immdiately after the rock went in, for the 2 days that I didn't test and that wouldn't have been a mini cycle since it went through so quickly.

With the 5 gallon, I added sand, rock, and about 80% of the water from the established 75 (and 20% new water) and I went ahead and put mushrooms in there at the same time. After 1 week I still had no cycle. I went ahead and placed some more hardy corals (xenia, leather, candy canes, zoas) and snails. After another week, no cycle. So I added a fish.

Both tanks are still in check and I'm still a newb. :D For the 75, I'm guessing that all of fully cured rock in there did the trick. For the new tank, there was nothing to cycle but the plastic/acrylic - so I guess it wasn't enough for it to be noticeable. But that's all just me, though. Overall, I think that fully cured rock will really help out with starting out tanks! The more the better! :wink:

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranger, I didnt move the DSB from the 30. I converted it into my fuge and actually added another inch or so to the top of it. I only have an inch or two of sand in my display for looks so I wasnt concerned with seeding it.

AS far as I am concerned, upgrading in size isnt the same as starting a tank from scratch. You are taking an established tank and moving it. Granted, you are disturbing things and likely adding more LR. If you are positive the the new LR is cured and can move it all without taking to long or shocking anything. You shouldnt have any die off at all. Well, you may squish a brittle star or bristle worm. But you get my point. I would leave the old LS and the last tank, use new in the bigger tank and seed the new sand if you want. I dont believe it should take a month to do that, only about four to six hours.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well well well.. I guess today I shall take the LR out of my old tank and add it to the new. Perhaps I will add my watchman goby to the new tank. I will keep the rest of the fish in the old tnak for a few more days.

Should I syphon out some water from my new tank, and add 30 - 40 gallons from my old tank?

Obviously after the fish and corals are put into the new tank.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used engineer gobys to see if my tank could support fish and they all lived and did great. I was also advised by my LFS that tangs are hearty and I shouldn't be afraid to use them for start up. I went with the 4.99 fish over the 20, but now a tang owner I actually think i could have used them they are tough little buggers.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stick with the 30-40 gallon idea. If you are leaving stuff in the old tank you dont want it to suddenly become sterile.

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, it depends, yes move it all including water + new water if you are tearing down old tank if not then sorry i misread the post.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get home from the office today I am going to check the levels in the new tank. Last night I added LR from my old tank, and set up my skimmer. Hopefully nothing is out of wack. I added several hermits last night and 2 feather dusters. All is well so far. If it is okay tonight I may add a fish.

Tomorrow I am getting rid of my flame angel, coral beauty, Coral banded shrimp, and a few other inverts.. I have my list of wants for the new tank, and those items are not on it..

Well wish me luck..

Oh, btw I am going to do a diy sump/refugium this weekend, so if anybody has any detailed helpful advice please post on my link in the DIY section. Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: