Kevin207

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The company making a 9 foot (x 2' x 30" high) aquarium is getting ready to install the two overflows in the back corners. Since my sump location will be downstairs from the tank,
they are recommending 1.5" return holes (one in each overflow) and 2" drain holes (one in each overflow) figuring I can downsize the hole if necessary wth different bulkhead connectors. Sound OK?

dbsherwood

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that bigger is better here, so I'd go with 2" drains and 1.5" returns. My tank is 8x4x3, and I've got 3 1.5" returns quite simply because I could not get 2" returns in my sump given the bulkhead size requirements. The bigger your drains are, the more you can crank up your pump with confidence that they'll have the capacity to return the water to the basement (I've got a similar set up to you).

Also, make certain that the pump your guy puts on the aquarium is designed to handle the head pressure of pumping water back up to the tank.

Good luck!

Kevin207

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":2ba4uhny said:
I would go with 1.5" inch drains and 1" returns (plumbing sizes), so your holes would need to be bigger.

I am GLAD that you pointed this out. :eek: Man, that could have been bad :roll:

dbsherwood":2ba4uhny said:
I think that bigger is better here, so I'd go with 2" drains and 1.5" returns. The bigger your drains are, the more you can crank up your pump with confidence that they'll have the capacity to return the water to the basement (I've got a similar set up to you)

I will definately take the bigger is better approach then. It's nice to have talk with people who have similar setups :D

I'll see what bigger holes I can get them to cut into the overflows.

das75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 145g, two overflows with basement sump. For drains have 2-2" bulkheads and a 1" return (yes small return but also a CL for circulation). Both drains have Dursos and with about 1000 gph, just a little louder than one of those small table fountains.

pmulder

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy your bulkheads on ebay, much less $$$ for same product. At least thats where i got mine for 75% less.

dbsherwood

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me take my comment one step further--you need the correct head pressure for the sizing of the pipes. My case in point is that I have two returns coming up from my basement-- a set of 1.5" pipes and a set of 2" pipes. The 1.5" pipes go through my chiller and are the 24 hour/day pipes. The 2" pipes have eductors on them and an oscillator and provide the current and turbulence. The pumps are Dolphin Pumps 8000 and 9700 correspondingly.

Last week I took out my Dolphin 8000 as it needed service (replace the seals) and put in a Dolphin 9700, which, although it has higher ampage, is designed for 2" pumps and not a step down to 1.5" (the Dolphin 8000 is better for this). Anyway, the flow on the 1.5" pipes was considerably less with the 9700 than the 8000! In short, the right pump on the pipes in question with the head height makes a huge difference, and I'd highly recommend that you spend a fair amount of time making sure you've got the right stuff. Also, I'd make sure the guy you buy the pump from will take it back for an exchange if it turns out that things are not up to your expectations. Good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: