jumpincactus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I grow closer to replacing bulbs, I wanted to ask what is the typical life of Ushio mogul 10,000 K bulbs? Mine are 5 months old how long before I should consider changing them out?

Second question, I want to get a more blue spectrum in my tank for coral coloration, but dont want to have it much darker than the 2-250 10,000k and the 96 watt blue actinics. I am told that the higher the K rating the bluer but darker the tank will get.

My SPS growth is really rocking with the 10's. How much more blue will I realise just by keeping the 10k and adding two more blue actinics. This way I would not compromise my SPS growth and have the bluer look I am seeking.

Will adding 2 more BA make much of a difference with the bluer look I want?

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello. i change mine out every year almost to the day. you still have a lot of good life with only 5 months, i would keep it running at least 3 more months.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey jump,

I've run PAR meters on bulbs and they seem to do well up to about 10 months, and that's when their intensity starts to fall off noticably. I think fungia's 12 month schedule is a nice time frame. Of course, this is based on a limited sampling.

The more blue the bulb, the less PAR it has as a general trend. However, there are some nice bluer bulbs that you can consider which don't give up much in terms of PAR. The Ushio 14K is a nice bulb. It's very bright and bluer (though still white) then your 10K. Aquaconnect 14K are very blue and bright, but they are also very expensive at about $150 each (and hard to find). If your 10Ks are doing well, adding two actinics will make a visible difference. I don't know if it will be as much difference as you're looking for, but it's worth a try. More light = better anyhow :)

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW. I swithced out the 10k with the actinic I had in the garage the day after you left. I was feeling like the frag you gave me as well as a couple others were/are starting to lose color. Then again, my MH bulb on that side is ten months old.
I think the the best way for you to truely get a real opinion on the difference between 10 and 14k is to bring your tank up here for a while. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10000k bulbs should last a bit longer than bluer bulbs, I notice 14000k hamilitons seem to go crap happy after about 6-7 months, because when you put a new bulb there is a night and day difference in intensity. What I like to do is have a good 3-4 month swap time difference between bulbs just so I have something else to compare to as far as intensity.

Also if you run them "hotter" ie with the HQI ballasts or something you will burn them out sooner.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: