JKDMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im goin to be upgrading to a 180 gal reef soon and i want to use a metal hilide system......was wondering how much wats are needed for what certian depth of tank...i heard that a 250w bulb is better/necessary for tanks over 20-24 inches in depth, is this true or would a 150w bulb be able to penetrate to that depth...thx

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 250s over my 24"deep 120 and they work fine for me. I have some pretty high light demanding things on the bottom center but would not expect them to do well out near the sides. If I were to set up a 180 I would definately use 400s as I am already tempted to get them for the 120.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250's are fine unless you really want to keep the super light demanding corals on the bottom or if you want to burn 20 kk bulbs.

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I`m not some expert on lighting but I have to agree at some point to Wazzel in what he/she is saying for I wish to be able to keep the SPS corals that require the strongest lighting as well I'm planning on clams as well.

Now I not wish to sidetrack this thread or as the saying goes, hijack it. For those who viewed my thread on either 250 or 400 watts MH bulbs. I am planning on 400`s and one this 240 reef tank to be, everything is going to be replaced on its tanks equipment that the only three items that will remain from what fish world had put in is the tank itself with the canopy and chiller. Even the stand is going to be replaced for this stand in now is only 24 height under the stand and I need much more height in order to get in an the excellent skimmer.

I`m also wondering if I should go with 250 on the 180 and 400 watts MH bulbs on the 240, that way I can have a bit more mixer of corals. Give some insight on this please :?

das75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start by figuring what you want to keep.

Me, I didn't want a hardcore SPS tank but still wanted a clam but liked stuff like frogspawn. Went with 250W over a 24" and with some aquascaping tried to have high areas in direct light, overhangs for indirect, shelves or benches lower down for more moderate light levels.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
das75":1fwcm9rp said:
Start by figuring what you want to keep.

That is the key. I am using 250"s on a 26" deep tank, bare bottom at that. I know I can not put the super light demanding things at the bottom, but it will be fine for the LPS I want to keep

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always thinking of what it is I like too do when these two reef tanks for as well, I just gotten off the phone a short while ago with Tangh in asking him of the idea to have 250 watts Mh bulbs on the 180 and 400 watts on the 240 and he says that in cost wise there really isn't too much a difference between the two other then a few extra bucks.

Like yesterday I thought of an idea in how I will get this money up for Aquatic Concepts to get these tanks finished and that is I will put in my savings account one my checks I get every week of the amount of $250 making it I would put together $1,000+ a month.

I not have what the complete cost will be at this time, but I am figuring it be as high as another $7,000 if not more and with that I will have whatever the electricians job will cost added to that. I will begin this right after the holidays are over.

I just had another thought, We have no personal photo galleries here at Reefs.org, do we? I was just asking for when I the money to finish these tanks as I wanted it, I will be having many types of corals, I hope :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between the 250' and 400's is more than just the inital cost and cost of bulbs. The 400 burn hotter so you have to deal with the heat, possibly using a chiller. Not to mention the 150 additional watts of power consumed. Not saying they are not necessary some times, but often if you look at what you are doing you can get a product that better fits your individual needs.

Dave Playfair has a really (or had not sure if the tank is still up) nice 120 lit by 175 SE. It not all about the number of watts you pump in.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old Man Of The Sea":1j0t5930 said:
I just had another thought, We have no personal photo galleries here at Reefs.org, do we? I was just asking for when I the money to finish these tanks as I wanted it, I will be having many types of corals, I hope :D

We do in a way. The members tank spec is a place you can build a dedicated tank thread and know where to go find it.

JKDMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i bought a retrofit mh set up .
it is 72 inches long has 3 150w MH bulbs and 4 96w actinics plus a led moon light system,,,,,was really considering the plo/pfo solaris. and will prolly upgrde to it in a few years wen i get out of college, but i only payed 500 bucks for the retrofit kit so i figured it would be worth it.

plz give thoughts on the retrofit kit or if you have any expirence with a led system info on that would be great too..thx :wink:

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The retrofit you got is fine. However, with 150W halides, you might not be able to keep the really light-demanding SPS all the way down to the bottom of the tank.

The people who have seen or tested the LED system say it's great, but not ideal for deeper tanks. Personally, I'd wait a few months or a couple years. Prices should drop to something more accessible.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: