A

Anonymous

OK, Those of you with Euroreefs, How often do you have to clean out the air intake on the pump? Lately its almost weekly. Its gets clogged with salt/calcium deposits. The problem is I have to take the whole skimmer apart to get to the pump to clean it. My sump is not work friendly.

Any ideas before I launch the Euroreef and find another skimmer?

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people making the diameter of the air intake (the actual "pipe" that is part of the pump intake) bigger by putting a drill bit that is a big bigger than the hole through it.

I've never had mine clog, though. :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had that issue. I believe if you put the open side on the air line in to a cup of RO/DI water it will suck it up and rinse out the inside. Give it a try and see if it work.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried that.

Can you extned the air tube without any problems? THis would make it easier to get hot RO water to. My stand is very tight.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People say you should extend your air tube to the outside of the stand (some go as far as outside the house) to suck in clean air, anyways. Mine's like that. (not exactly sure if it makes that much of a difference, though :wink: )

So yeah, no problems to extend it.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":3pplqnzb said:
People say you should extend your air tube to the outside of the stand (some go as far as outside the house) to suck in clean air, anyways.

Hmm, I gotta try that. Problem is finding silicone tubing.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thousands upon thousands of feet of it in surplus Karl :lol: I'll bring you some. FWIW, mine is platinum cured, so it's 10X the cost of the normal stuff. Gotta love aquaculture surplus.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob_Reef_Keeper":13t6g14i said:
Never tried that.

Can you extned the air tube without any problems? THis would make it easier to get hot RO water to. My stand is very tight.

While Hot water would probably work better, I wouldn't go nuts with trying to get it to there. If you continue to do this on a regular basis you shouldn't have to worry about that at all. Just my .02.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unarce":77t48j7o said:
bleedingthought":77t48j7o said:
People say you should extend your air tube to the outside of the stand (some go as far as outside the house) to suck in clean air, anyways.

Hmm, I gotta try that. Problem is finding silicone tubing.
I got mine from HD! :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wings":3ra26mpc said:
Rob_Reef_Keeper":3ra26mpc said:
Never tried that.

While Hot water would probably work better, I wouldn't go nuts with trying to get it to there. If you continue to do this on a regular basis you shouldn't have to worry about that at all. Just my .02.

Well to get any water or even work on the skimmer is a royal PITA. a 3ft tank is not meant for a reef and equipment

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob_Reef_Keeper":3pysbzrw said:
wings":3pysbzrw said:
Rob_Reef_Keeper":3pysbzrw said:
Never tried that.

Well to get any water or even work on the skimmer is a royal PITA. a 3ft tank is not meant for a reef and equipment

You can always extend the tube..in fact if its noisy, it's a nice way to "muffler" it. Then, just let the tube suck in a cup full.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: