tripstank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Where is everyone buying their live pods from? Or does someone locally have a culture they would be willing to skim off of? Any information on getting some pods for my refugium would be great.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I noticed they did, but those are tiggers, will mandarins eat tiggers?

In my experience, not always. Each Mandarin is different, a small percentage will even eat mysis shrimp, though that's pretty rare. The pods my Manderin likes are the ones that scurry around on the glass and rocks where film algae grows (Harpacaticoid copepods) and the ones that primarily live in my refugium and swim in swarms (Calanoid copepods).

All the pods in my tank came in the natural way, as hitchhikers. The key to having lots of pods is to provide them an environment where they can live and reporoduce in safety with no preadators (i.e. a Mandarin) around. That's where a refugium comes in.

I "seeded" my fuge by taking some sand and a small chunk of rock out of my main tank. I then added some Cheeto for them to hide in, fed them some Phyto Feast every few days, and before I knew it I and tons of the little critters.

Slamajamajama

Because Thats How I Roll.
Rating - 98.2%
54   1   0
trips the best thing to do is NOT TO BUY...many reefers have pods in thr filter socks and fuges to get u going or to restock. The benifit is u get many diff species from various sources...

better ques i think is how many reefers can donate some pods ...

tripstank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I went to H2O last weekend and they do in fact carry live cultures of pods. 10 for 2.50. Pretty pricey, but just for the heck of it I took a few. I have seen moltings floating around in the fuge, so I would imagine they are AOK. At H20 they also have live cultures of phyto and rotifers. I believe both of those are sold my the ounce. Not a insanely huge assortment or high quality stock, but worth stopping in if you are in that area.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: