Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in the midst of a major hardware upgrade. Some of our current hardware resources will be allocated to this upgrade, so you are likely to see some slow performance every once in a while over the next few weeks. Please bear with us during this transition. The new hardware will make Reefs.org perform better then ever.

We have also implemented a new process to register as a member here. If you have any problems with your registration, please email me at [email protected] and I will assist you in getting your account activated.

We are very close to our upgrade and thank you for your patience.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spambots are more irrating than the slow server. :evil:

rbursek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len,
it has been 5 weeks since this thread, and I am still in spin city! It is not my machine it's the site.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rbursek":3q8p86i5 said:
Len,
it has been 5 weeks since this thread, and I am still in spin city! It is not my machine it's the site.

It is absolutely not your machine, it absolutely is the site.

Are you guys still charging your advertisers for this?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're getting there. The hardware is all set up. It's now a migration hurdle.

Not that it's the public's business ;), but our advertisers are getting "grandfathered" rates. Despite the BB's slow performance, RDO and AAOLM's traffic collectively increased by over 24% last year and is on the same pace this year. The magazine saw the biggest growth.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be, but if it's traffic generated primarily by spammers who not only have no interest in aquarium-keeping but no interest in what's being advertised, then the advertisers aren't exactly getting what they might assume they're paying for, are they? I would venture a guess that the spam traffic has increased by at least that 24%, if not much, much more. Since it's become so bad over the last several months (longer than that, honestly, we're looking at better than a year that this has been a problem) I have often found myself wondering how the site has managed to even keep its regular advertisers. Cut rates is definitely one way to do it. ;)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, the traffic increase on AAOLM (where no user content section is available, thus no spam activity) has seen the most growth. We hope revamping Reefs.org's BB will match AAOLM's growth. The spammers definitely are a problem, but the new hardware and software provide so much more benefits beyond spam elimination.

It's still none of the public's business ;) but the sponsors originally were just paying to advertise in AAOLM (we had very few banner ads before AAOLM's inception). The advertising on Reefs.org was an added "free bonus." Keep in mind: Just because some of us use RDO/AAOLM's site mostly for its BB doesn't mean most people do.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having problems with the little flags telling me when a thread has been updated with a new post. (yellow when new). Mine goes all blank and I can't get it to update. It's like everyone on the site just leaves for luch. I have to log off and come back 10 time before it's fixed. Is this a result of the problmes your facing?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: