A

Anonymous

I'm looking for a service (or free agent) that will do relatively large water changes for my tank in the downtown Chicago area (in an office building near Michigan ave and the Chicago river). In particular, I need someone that can do a 70-80 gallon water change using purified (RO/DI) water every 1-2 months.

Anyone have any recommendations or know of a service that might be willing to take this on? Most of the services that I have talked to cater to people that don't know anything about reef tanks and need a service that will come in on a weekly basis and move a few corals around. :)

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm Im guessing time is a problem for you. With what you would pay for a serviceman, you could buy an RODI unit and salt and save $$$. I'd do it for you but Im in Florida :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its on the other side of the pond from you, but my LFS has a service side that does great work around the area. - Their store is a split from a guy some of the Industry Forum regulars know.

It'd be a bit of a drive for them, but can't hurt to give a call and find out anyway...

http://www.mothersreef.com

Tell 'em Norm sent ya! ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gaak.....shouldn't have clicked on the reef with my speakers volume blasting.

Watch out, music on website :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blackcloudmedia":140ak9gs said:
Hmm Im guessing time is a problem for you. With what you would pay for a serviceman, you could buy an RODI unit and salt and save $$$. I'd do it for you but Im in Florida :lol:

Actually, time is not the principal problem - it's water. I have an RO/DI system with multiple cannisters for the individual DI components. But I have no way to hook it up the building water supply, and no way to accumulate and store the quantity of water I need to do water changes. There is no possible way to run a 1/4" water line from the nearest water supply to my office without violating numerous codes.

Thus, I am resigned to use tap water for top-off. And although Chicago/Lake Michigan water is actually pretty good, I want to mtigate the negative consequences of my using tap water for top-offs (2-3 gallons per day) by doing large water changes with purified water.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took my office tank home becuase I wasnt getting enough time to maintain or look at it. Whenever my employees would come back and see me stairing into my tank I would feel guilty....so now I have 4 tanks in my house lol.

condiman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do what I can im in the same business and when I was down south I stoped in and there services are quite excellent

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uncle Mike":wtatqu79 said:
blackcloudmedia":wtatqu79 said:

Actually, time is not the principal problem - it's water. I have an RO/DI system with multiple cannisters for the individual DI components. But I have no way to hook it up the building water supply, and no way to accumulate and store the quantity of water I need to do water changes. There is no possible way to run a 1/4" water line from the nearest water supply to my office without violating numerous codes.

Thus, I am resigned to use tap water for top-off. And although Chicago/Lake Michigan water is actually pretty good, I want to mtigate the negative consequences of my using tap water for top-offs (2-3 gallons per day) by doing large water changes with purified water.

Mike,

Is installing an RO/DI drinking water system with reservoir "for the office" an option? Then you could top off with pure water...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":2l0tzmui said:
Uncle Mike":2l0tzmui said:
blackcloudmedia":2l0tzmui said:

Mike,

Is installing an RO/DI drinking water system with reservoir "for the office" an option? Then you could top off with pure water...

I don't know anything about the "for the office system". I will look into it. Nevertheless, I should note that I probably need to top off 3 gallons per day, on average. I typically top off my tank 3 times per week, adding two large buckets of water each time.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uncle Mike":svpfty2g said:
Matt_":svpfty2g said:
Uncle Mike":svpfty2g said:
blackcloudmedia":svpfty2g said:

Mike,

I don't know anything about the "for the office system". I will look into it. Nevertheless, I should note that I probably need to top off 3 gallons per day, on average. I typically top off my tank 3 times per week, adding two large buckets of water each time.

Shouldn't be a problem. :) The kind I am referring to is a simple RO/DI system, which connects to a sealed and sterile reservoir (usually about 3-5g), which then connects to something that looks like this above the sink:

water-filter.jpg

water_filter_system_v2_0.jpg

Home Depot can even come install the whole thing for you.

Several of my former customers with limited space and/or spouses that did not want a mad scientist reefkeeper contraption for producing DI water in the garage chose to use this method to top off their tanks and did not regret it. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":cmd76ku2 said:
Uncle Mike":cmd76ku2 said:
Matt_":cmd76ku2 said:
Uncle Mike":cmd76ku2 said:
blackcloudmedia":cmd76ku2 said:

Mike,

Shouldn't be a problem. :) The kind I am referring to is a simple RO/DI system, which connects to a sealed and sterile reservoir (usually about 3-5g), which then connects to something that looks like this above the sink:

water-filter.jpg

water_filter_system_v2_0.jpg

Home Depot can even come install the whole thing for you.

Several of my former customers with limited space and/or spouses that did not want a mad scientist reefkeeper contraption for producing DI water in the garage chose to use this method to top off their tanks and did not regret it. :)

I actually have a similar RO/DI system like that, but I tossed the membrane tank prior to my last move. Did I ever mention the little mishap I had when I failed to fully seat a connector? Our cherry floors were not happy.

In any event, I cannot hook up a system like that at my office. My office is on the 33rd floor of a commercial office building. The nearest water source is small room with a coffee bar and soda bar. But there is no space in cabinets to hold a RO/DI system and tank. I've checked.

But thanks for the heads up. I will look into the storage tank if I decide to hook up my RO/DI system at home.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: