A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP = Oxygen Reduction Potential - Need to monitor/control this if you run ozone if not, don't bother. Other things, don't bother, not worth the extended cost on your controller

fcmatt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am agreeing with the posts above me.

everytime i investigate your exact question i always come to the same
conclusion. i do not need it for the reasons they mentioned above. my
only benefit would be the neat factor.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm...

yes, you should care

no, you don't necessarily need to bother :)

the ORP, or OXIDIZATION/REDUCTION potential of a system-is a general indication of which of the two directions (oxidizing organics, vs. reducing them) the system is more biased towards

it's connected/related to the dissolved O2 levels (but not JUST the dissolved O2 levels), and can indeed be valuable REGARDLESS of ozone shmozone usage-it's not merely a controller parameter :P

the best 'use' of orp is generally trend indication-for example-if a system runs at a baseline level of 320, and one day drops to 270-you have a 'warning light' that someting might be going on in the system to tilt it in the direction of favoring a reducing environment (many anaerobic bacteria are reducing bacteria, iirc)

i've seen plenty of awesomely healthy tanks w/crappy redox levels, and plenty of sickly tanks w/'good' redox levels, so, as indicated by the others above as well, don't fret about it too much

conductivity, sg, salinity are ways to differently measure the same thing :P

oh, ozone can be run w/out an orp controller-just need to be careful about it-very careful :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitz":2hth78ml said:
oh, ozone can be run w/out an orp controller-just need to be careful about it-very careful :P
Yes careful enough not to wipe out all the sharks in a particular public aquarium's exhibit :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skylersdad":3o6vo4lf said:
hi,

should i worry about monitoring ORP (what is that?), conductivity, and disolved oxygen within a 120 gal reef?
No.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: