Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on buying a 72"x30"x25" 240 gallon which i will have viewable from 2 sides. I plan on making a custom cabinet/hood so the bulbs will be roughly 12" off the water. I plan on getting 3 MHs, 400W, (maybe w/ 2 VHO actinics on the side) for the lighting in this reef. I was wondering if that is enough seeing as the tank is 30" wide and I remember needing 1MH for every 24"x24". I haven't had an aquarium in roughly 6 years as my job has not allotted me to (Active duty) and I just got a permanent duty station in Washington DC. (YAY) That's a yay for being able to get an aquarium, and yay for perm duty station!!!!!

Thanks guys!

Randy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o1dguardso1dier, congrats on the assignment and heartfelt thanks for your service! The lighting scheme sounds fine, what are you planning on for inhabitants?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto what the two above. 2 ft suggestion for 400W MH is just a rule of thumb, and for a 30 inch wide tank, you have enough to cover it length-wise.

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everybody else 3 400 watt halides on that tank will be fine. I would suggest using the lumenarc III reflectors and you will enough room to mount the VHO actinics on the front and back and have the tank well lit.

Kim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to put two 400W MHs and some actinic over a 60 gal, and that was an overkill. When I take one of the MH out, there is no difference in the growth, etc..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still confused. So if that's over kill, should I go w/ 250's? this is why i ask this question, because when I was in this game some years ago, i thought it was common for bright colored acropora to change to a more dull color if they don't have enough light.

maybe i should just get goldfish. lol-j/k j/k

Randy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
condiman":gih7k3w8 said:
it all depends on what you are planning on keeping tho.
This.+1

You're fine. Especially if you already have the 400's..

If not, you might want to consider 250w DE's over the standard SE 400's. - They may or may not work out better for you depending on what your goals are.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: