What is the longest time you've maintained a marine aquarium?

• 1 to 2 years

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 2 to 3 years

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3 to 5 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 to 8 years

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 8 to 10 years

• 10 to 15 years

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 20 years plus

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

I'm doing some research for an article, please answer honestly.
I'm looking for the longest span of time that you've maintained a reef tank without suffering large losses or a wipe out. Causes could be power outages, vacations, equipment failures, heat spikes, moves, etc. Even a move that just required you to sell your critters and start over counts.

This is not a poll about reef keeping skills, but rather the likely hood of Murphy's Law or life simply having other plans for your box of water

Your help is much appreciated.

Jim

A

Anonymous

I would not consider the first year or two of my 29 gallon a reef. My current tank has been a reef for 6 years, my 55 for 3, and my 29 for about a year. Collectively 10 years.

A

Anonymous

Sorry I guess I should have voted 6 years and not 10. They were upgrades and not moves though.

A

Anonymous

I changed to poll question to "marine aquarium" rather than making it reef specific.

A

Anonymous

ANEMONEBUFF":2cerqgq2 said:
Sorry I guess I should have voted 6 years and not 10. They were upgrades and not moves though.

Answer the poll up top please. :)
Oops you did, never mind.

A

Anonymous

I voted 3 -5 years.

I had a 75G for at least 3 years and moved it's contents into my 300G, and kept that for a couple more years.

Louey

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted in the 5-8 year column because my 15 gallon long has been running since 04 and is still going strong. I have made some blunders over the years though.

1. I went on a month long vacation to Hawaii left my parents in charge of "water top ups only, " well had a calcium drop and lost the only 3 SPS in the tank before I fixed it.
2. Have lost fish to various reasons as well. (jumps to floor, ich and poor nutrition from Ques. LFS, Eaten by snapping shrimp)
3. Lost some Xenia for still unknown reason.

So I have been less than perfect in my performance.

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted 2-3 years. It would have been longer (5-8 yrs) but I and my family were away for a week and I had someone watching the tank that was really not 'adept' at keeping aquariums. The temperature in the tank spiked on day 3 and she didn't know it and by the time I got home, I had lost 25-30% of the livestock in the tank.

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-8 years, same tank, it's been upgraded to 300 gallons now, and 2-3 years (?) for my current 20g nano tank, and the latest addition, a 46BF that Lawdawg has been waiting on the threag, has only been running a couple months.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some 12 year old corals and an 11 year old urchin...but moves have often been problematic for me.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also voted wrong...I vote 10-15 but should have 5-8 since I didnt read the thread before I voted lol. I moved my tank a couple of times.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: