SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
although I don't consider myself a noob in the hobby, I've NEVER dealt with macroalgae!

I've seen a lot about balls of cheato tucked away in containers behind rockwork to help controle nutrients in systems...

what r your opionons? Am I missing out on something by not useing it in my tank?

BTW the new 120 is going VERY good :)

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea about the chaeto, but I'm starting to feel the need to pester you for picts. :wink:

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get some pics and movies up soon.

things r looking nice, but still pretty barren in there. I moved everything from a 65g cube (very minimal room), so everthing is pretty spread out :)

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to it! I don't mind bare looking tanks. It's nice to see things fill out bit by bit. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, pics!

As for the Chaeto...I think if you have a large refugium/display ratio, then it can be very useful for keeping nutrients under control. But a little ball stuck in a corner probably isn't going to do a heck of a lot.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":2jzelsrd said:
when I say a little ball.. I mean like.. a ball the size of a 10 yr old's head :)

B
IMO it will accomplish nothing with regards to nutrient control.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JohnHenry":2aem0cie said:
As for the Chaeto...I think if you have a large refugium/display ratio, then it can be very useful for keeping nutrients under control. But a little ball stuck in a corner probably isn't going to do a heck of a lot.
+1

(LOL, sorry JH, I couldn't resist after reading your sig... :wink: )

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard a lot about it also. Not really sure as to if you need it in your tank or not. I don't and mine seems to be doing ok for the most part. However, I spend a lot of time cleaning and changing water...

I have an overflow box that is about 1/2 thick with red and breen algae inside, very thick. I don't clean it because my tank is spotless, it;s just the overflow that is loaded witht the stuff. Does this act just like refuge in the tank? If so, maybe you could try something similar.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two useful functions to refugia (well, more than that, but I'm simplifying for clarity).

One is nutrient export (growth of macro, removal of growth and therefore removal of nitrates). For this, a ball or an overgrown overflow isn't going to make a huge difference. It can't be a major plank in your tool box (mixing metaphors much...) in tackling the waste produced by the tank, though I wonder if it might make a marginal difference and that marginal difference might still be useful - even if it's only in the sense of, by taking up the small amount of excess nutrients it does, you're reducing the chances of a sudden growth in algae in the main tank.

The second is to act, literally, as a refuge. Particularly useful if you have fish or coral that like to consume plankton. Something like a ball-size or overflow filler can't be a main food source, however, and you won't be able to rely on it, but it will be a useful additional source of snacks.

Actually, Sea Turtle, one of the things that would worry me about your overflow fuge is that it's hard to maintain. Dying macro could leach nitrates and the living stuff could trap waste material in a way that also leaches nitrates (as opposed to just absorbing the nitrates). I say this as I did a similar thing with my previous tank and when I did actually clean it, there was a lot of crap down there.

You can see in this shot that the overflow was quite overgrown.

small_202.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: